Will packed Roxul make a good seal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TradEddie

Minister of Fire
Jan 24, 2012
SE PA
I need to seal the flue above my insert, I have no issues with my insert, but I have a significant downdraft of cold air coming into the room when it’s not running. The space and access restrictions mean that while I can make a two-part block-off plate to cover most of the area, those plates will not meet in the center and I will still need to seal a large gap between the liner and the plates. Will packed Roxul around the liner be enough to create a good seal?
I’ve looked at all the block-off plate posts and wikis, but those seem more concerned with retaining heat when running than sealing air when not. I don’t run the insert on weekdays, so this could be a big heat loss. My old slammer had a much better seal at the surround, but I'd like to do more than that.

TE

Yes, roxul is the best way to do that, thats what I used and it made a big difference. Make the BOP too when you have time, that will make a difference too.

Well, roxul went in tonight, and the block-off plates are held in by friction until I can run a drill without waking anyone. Can't feel any draft at all now, with temps below 30, so it's already an improvement. I've been keeping a close track on my overnight interior temperature drops, hopefully I can actually see a difference in the AM.
No pics of this, it's not my neatest work.

TE

Status
Not open for further replies.