Will pellet prices rise or fall in the coming months?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtcm05

Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2006
This will be my first full season with my stove and I haven't yet pulled the trigger on pellets yet. I have barefoot and greene team pellets available locally for around $275-280/ton delivered. I'm guessing I will need about 4 tons. They seem to be roughly the same as last season even though fuel prices are down substantially since then. Any thoughts?

jtcm05 said:
This will be my first full season with my stove and I haven't yet pulled the trigger on pellets yet. I have barefoot and greene team pellets available locally for around $275-280/ton delivered. I'm guessing I will need about 4 tons. They seem to be roughly the same as last season even though fuel prices are down substantially since then. Any thoughts?

The only guidance I have to go off from is Pelletsales.com and it seems as if the price has risen a bit over the past week. Not sure if they are a indicator. I was also looking at their "super premium pellets". Although, I would imagine that the prices will stay around their current prices. I demand does not rise, manufacturers will slow production.

Its like buying stocks....guess what it will do tomorrow.
Pellets here are 300 /ton so i would not hesitate at 275.00 personally.

jtcm05 said:

Check your local Lowe's and Home Depot. There have some great deals going on right now. I just pigged out on 4 tons of Greene Team for $231 a ton. You just need to shop around if you have plenty of suppliers and choices in your area.

Prices on pellets at Tractor Supply have come down too....another place to check out.

I would guess that prices will remain stable. The thing that I do not understand is that in a 30 mile area where I live I have seen prices at different stores in the past two weeks anywhere from $199 for Rocky Mountains and Somerset to $310 for White Lightning. The pellets for $199 were at $250/ton and the pellets at $310 were at $285 for the early buy.

Nothing is stable any more. When vacation season starts, "miraculously" fuel prices rise. Same with the cold weather. When people need to heat, "miraculously" heating costs rise. Pellet prices are bouncing around right now because there is an abundent supply available because no one is burning yet. As we all start to buy it up, the prices will shoot right up to $300 a ton or more. I say get while the gettin is good. Have you ever seen gas prices go down when the good weather hits or heating oil/propane prices drop when it gets cold?

no it's called those sneaky capitalists making a buck off of us poor consumers! How dare they change the prices just because the market changes! I know lets bring in a govt system that will keep everything the same all the time! that way we all can stand in line for toilet paper and pellets but the price will always be the same by law! ( if "they" have any to sell)

Doocrew said:
Nothing is stable any more. When vacation season starts, "miraculously" fuel prices rise. Same with the cold weather. When people need to heat, "miraculously" heating costs rise. Pellet prices are bouncing around right now because there is an abundent supply available because no one is burning yet. As we all start to buy it up, the prices will shoot right up to $300 a ton or more. I say get while the gettin is good. Have you ever seen gas prices go down when the good weather hits or heating oil/propane prices drop when it gets cold?

Seen heating oil/propane prices drop? Not since last year. How soon we forget.

I guess I did a terrible job trying to make my point. All I am trying to say is that the opportunity is now to get a decent price on pellets before the prices shoot up. There was a time when the markets were more stable that you would always be ahead if you pre-bought HHO. Over the last 5 years, it became a crap shoot. Sometimes you could win, sometimes you would lose. The same situation has presented itself with pellets. Shop around, watch the prices and pull the trigger when you think the time is right.

Who can predict the coming months? ...but the past two or three weeks I have seen a steady rise from where I bought at. Got my pennington's at sam's club three weeks ago for 4.24/bag, two days later they went up to 4.88/bag and they are now at 5.00/bag.

Disclaimer:
This is only one vendor example and may not indicate an industry trend. Past performance does not indicate future results. :gulp:

Most of last year there was a shortage and prices went much higher. This year there apears to be more supply and the prices really haven't adjusted back to where they were a few years ago when supply was good. Another reason given for the higher prices last year was that the gas prices pushed shipping costs higher. Gas is now lower and the pellet prices haven't re-adjusted much. I think the sellers and suppliers get what they can get. The reliance on supply and demand hasn't worked well in many areas since the gas prices went higher. Even food hasn't come back down since the gas prices were higher.

Wood Pellet User said:
Most of last year there was a shortage and prices went much higher. This year there apears to be more supply and the prices really haven't adjusted back to where they were a few years ago when supply was good. Another reason given for the higher prices last year was that the gas prices pushed shipping costs higher. Gas is now lower and the pellet prices haven't re-adjusted much. I think the sellers and suppliers get what they can get. The reliance on supply and demand hasn't worked well in many areas since the gas prices went higher. Even food hasn't come back down since the gas prices were higher.

Translation: We are gettin screwed

[quote author="Clay H" date="1252698157[/quote]

Translation: We are gettin screwed[/quote]

yes

i'm thinking some plants and wholesale retail types paniced with the rest of us last year and locked in some of this years contracts for raw materials thinking everything would continue to go higher...

My answer is Yes. The price of pellets will fall OR rise in coming months. Sorry, my magic meatball is on the fritz.

jtcm05 said:

ayuh.

My local Agway was telling me that the Pellet Companies are really pushing hard for Agway to take delivery on pellets ... apparently they aren't because the demand isn't there yet ... hopefully this is a good sign of prices to come do to high supply and lower demand.

Doocrew said:
I guess I did a terrible job trying to make my point. All I am trying to say is that the opportunity is now to get a decent price on pellets before the prices shoot up. There was a time when the markets were more stable that you would always be ahead if you pre-bought HHO. Over the last 5 years, it became a crap shoot. Sometimes you could win, sometimes you would lose. The same situation has presented itself with pellets. Shop around, watch the prices and pull the trigger when you think the time is right.

well put, Doocrew!

Yea, Im constantly amazed at folks....they wait and wait, in the hopes that prices *might* go down, all to save a few bucks......but then complain about pricing when they dont...in other words, complain when their "strategy" didnt work....

Posted in "Looks Like WE HAVE A PELLET GLUT on our hands this year !! "
For those of you in central NY (Albany area), Agway in Johnstown NY (518) 762-9323 has Barefoot pellets for $279/ton or New England for $259/ton. Lady said she had more then enough in stock. Prices good thru the end of the month. Prices are better then last year for sure. I would have to believe that when it starts getting cold the price is going to go up a bit, but I think you will be able to find them at least this year if you need more im sure at a higher price then now.

i dont use pellets but my neighbor does .from what i gather our spring early buyout at the local Agway center has been a great deal at 185 per ton the last several years ,but this year my neighbor was very disappointed when he came back home with his pallet of bags and complained to me that the price was now almost 240 per ton.

well tsc has them 249 a ton HD around the corner is 299 but now HD has to match plus 10% so i will be going for 225 before i use my coupon! i will let you guys know how it works out

and yes heating oil around here got as low as 1.39 a gallon couple months ago now its at 1.99 and gonna go up a little as the economy rebounds

rowerwet said:
no it's called those sneaky capitalists making a buck off of us poor consumers! How dare they change the prices just because the market changes! I know lets bring in a govt system that will keep everything the same all the time! that way we all can stand in line for toilet paper and pellets but the price will always be the same by law! ( if "they" have any to sell)

Very nice sarcasm, well said!!

I love your flag and didn't notice the guns at first. Looks like as of today we still have our guns and some of our freedom. Too bad they already have most of our money! As the bumper sticker goes "I'll Keep My Guns, Freedom, & Money... You Can Keep The "Change!".

Plenty of pellets in my area, cheapest is $219 a ton you pickup. Everyone has pellets and seems to not be moving like last year, though last year was crazy.

of course if there really is a pellet glut and the bottom falls out of pellet prices, another market force will kick in, those newer pellet mills will go bust, causing us pellet pigs to go crazy, but correcting the price back to where the raw material plus labor and expenses set it. I don't think too much would change in the long run, it would just be like the oil prices last year, crazy due to huge demand, speculators, investment firms, etc. then a hiccup, and boom prices crash, now we have corrected back to about where it should be based on worldwide demand, bunny huggers, etc. LET THE FREE MARKET ROLL ON!

Status
Not open for further replies.