Will pellet prices rise or fall in the coming months?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I paid $517 for 2 tons of Lignetics from Home Depot in Waterbury, CT including tax and delivery. I applied a 10% off coupon that they sent in August, plus they took $50 off for the two ton purchase. I've burned these pellets the past two years and have been satisfied with them. Love the forum. Thanks for all the great info everyone!

Thanks for the replies. The $276/ton price was for Lowes for Greene Team pellets. Thats assuming I buy 4 tons with the $150 off sale. I have no coupons unfortunately. Anyone have one they ain't gonna use? :p Agways had barefoots for $279 a ton plus a $40 delivery charge. The sale at Lowes supposedly ends on 9/30 so I will most likely order the 4 tons before then from them.

ShamWow said:
Yesterday I paid $517 for 2 tons of Lignetics from Home Depot in Waterbury, CT including tax and delivery......

Still about $20/ton more than last year, but $258/ton is a pretty good price for Lignetics.

I think the prices will come down soon if the supplies are as good as we are being told. The majority of wood pellet users have purchased most of their winter supply by now. Based on this forum there are areas were prcies are much lower. The dealers in the next month or so might be left with inventory they need to move that will probably lower prices. Lats year we started the winter with a significnat shortage of wood pellets. The dealers even well into the winter still had back orders from the summer. I think the next spring pre-buy prices will go down from last year as well if current supplies remain good and the winter manufaturing stays the same. I am optomistic especially if the oil prcies stay the same or similar. The government tax incentives have increased stove sales yet the relatively low oil prcies have kept some customers from buying stoves.

I took a gamble with the price last year , thinking they might go up this summer/fall, and they have drop to around 250/ton.

My local dealers are mixed for pricing. Closest green team pellet guy is Way up over last year. But the larger dealers a few towns away seem stable, with good inventory and 265-285 ton.

I have always restocked my supply by the end of April every year as historically
this was the best time of year to find decent prices.

I still ended up finding a good deal this year but noticed alot of retailers around here
are reluctant to reduce their high prices.
Even though I see prices dropping a little here and there, I doubt they have leveled out yet.

I have noticed a price drop here in Western CT. Most dealers were holding out for $275 plus throughout the early spring and summer. I would say most have dropped to around the $250 mark now. I see "we have pellets" signs all over the place. Pulled the trigger in July on 4 tons of Barefoots at $279 per ton. Not really looking back. It's a pretty good feeling to be sitting on a years supply and ready for the temps to fall. I am willing to pay a little more for a proven brand. I think I will stock up as I go this winter if prices continue to drop.

Groundhog said:
......It’s a pretty good feeling to be sitting on a years supply and ready for the temps to fall.....I think I will stock up as I go this winter if prices continue to drop.

A true pellet pig if I ever saw one ;-)

well, as a dealer of pellets, I need to make a certain margin to survive.....and so far, we have seen NO price reductions from the mills. If we get a reduction, we will pass it on. Im guessing the prices wont drop until the mills drop their pricing, or you find an odd dealer who is inventory heavy and cash poor. Just dont wait too long!

Well, i just stopped at Home Depot in Hamden, CT on my lunch and they had dropped their pallet prices from 299 to 249/ton for prest-o-log(lignetics?) pellets. That doesnt include the $150 discount for buying 4 tons. So that comes to $211.50 :bug: a ton plus whatever their delivery charge is. Can't pass that up. Will go and check the HD down the street from my house after work.

Lousyweather said:
well, as a dealer of pellets, I need to make a certain margin to survive.....and so far, we have seen NO price reductions from the mills. If we get a reduction, we will pass it on. Im guessing the prices wont drop until the mills drop their pricing, or you find an odd dealer who is inventory heavy and cash poor. Just dont wait too long!

As for the price going down, we just got notification that a mill we buy from is actually going up $10.00 per ton on October 1st.

Looks like the box stores are going to be giving the dealers a run for their
money this year with all the discounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.