Will the accentra fs work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amynrichie

Nov 3, 2011
Nebraska
I have a 1680 sf (or so) Ranch. I have attached a NOT TO SCALE floorplan. I'm sure the bedrooms won't be toasty hot, but hopefully above 67* or so. The living room and kitchen open via an archway, and have A LOT of windows between them.

I just love the looks of the Accentra. I feel like it's a wonderful blend of form and function. However, I'm worried that the Accentra won't be sufficient on the -40* days with 40+ mph wind. We DO get those days here, but hopefully not for weeks on end. This is western Nebraska, we get both blazing heat and bitter cold. ( And always the wind.) The Harman website claims that this stove will heat 900-2400sf.

The other stove I had my eye on is the St Croix Lincoln SCS. Two completely different stoves, I know. The reason I'm watching this is because it is a decent stove and a floor model was marked at $1000 of list price. The guy literally sold it while my husband and I stepped out to discuss and agree on the purchase. He is now offering me a brand new Lincoln SCS for 15% off, or about $3300. Originally about $3800a +/- . It is 50K BTU.

-Accentra seems like it is a breeze to clean, not that the St Croix is excessively difficult, a couple PITA spots.
-St Croix really seems to stack up a lot of ash RIGHT in front of the viewing window. It wasn't very pretty, and kind of defeats the purpose of having a nice large viewing glass.
-BTU Accentra is 40K, SC is 50K
- Can definitely hear the fans with the SC, but not box fan or window AC loud. Maybe sounds like a table fan on medium. Have not heard the Accentra run.
-The Accentra is $3700 with out all of the extras. Minus their $100 coupon via the website.
-SC is $3300 without any extras.

What's your take? I like to look at the Accentra, but could live with the SC. I'm kind of back to the analysis paralysis point!

Attachments

• FLOORPLAN.pdf
    175.6 KB · Views: 119
My Accentra heats my 1700 sq. ft. bi-level just fine. In fact, it pretty much just idles along on maint. burn a lot of the time. Depends how well your home is insulated. I like mine, never let me down.

Is it pretty quiet?

Is it pretty quiet?
Some here have made comments about the sound of air blowing out the room vent itself in the Accentra FS. There has been threads on this here but overall it is not a loud stove, I've been around them running. Possibly the quietest stove in the Harman line is the XXV and it pushes out some crazy amount of hot air. Its rated at 50000 btu as I recall. But blower volume is the big push that I'm speaking of.

Status
Not open for further replies.