Winching Up some Aspen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Attached are some pictures of the Aspen we winched up, we used a couple of d-shackles with a tree saver and the winch.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1164.jpg
    100_1164.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 293
  • 100_1165.jpg
    100_1165.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 284
  • 100_1166.jpg
    100_1166.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 271
zapny said:
Attached are some pictures of the Aspen we winched up, we used a couple of d-shackles with a tree saver and the winch.
What's a 'tree saver', Zap? Is it the web sling in the photos? Or something else, off camera?

Cluttermagnet said:
zapny said:
What's a 'tree saver', Zap? Is it the web sling in the photos? Or something else, off camera?

The web sling, it worked better than I thought it would. Clutter the reason they call it a tree saver is if you get the four wheeler stuck you can take the tree saver and put it around a tree with a d-shackle then hook the winch to the d-shackle and pull yourself out without any damage to the tree.

They use to put the cable from the winch around the tree but it would cut into the tree damaging it when winching out the four wheeler thus the name tree saver.

zap

Makes perfect sense now, Zap. Nice toys there. Go get 'em! ;-)

Cluttermagnet said:
Makes perfect sense now, Zap. Nice toys there. Go get 'em! ;-)

The wife brought lunch and after we ate I put her in control of the winch, on her walk back home she ran into some BEAR scat.

zap

She's a good sport. I saw the photo of her nailing on that shed roof. A little bear scat won't put her off. But I bet the air was a little blue for a minute there... :lol:

Did she just see it, or did she step in it? And which is worse, anyway? :bug:

Cluttermagnet said:
She's a good sport. I saw the photo of her nailing on that shed roof. A little bear scat won't put her off. But I bet the air was a little blue for a minute there... :lol:

Clutter we don't have a shed she must have been working for someone else.

zap

Nice work zap! You've got a great set up there.

Skier76 said:
Nice work zap! You've got a great set up there.

Skier76 thanks, if the weather is good I'll run the splitter back in on Tuesday and start splitting the Sugar Maple first.

Skier did you get any kickback when you hit the nails?

zap

Zap, if you have the weather today that we had yesterday, I would not plan on doing a lot of work. Ya, I used to work in this crappy stuff when I was a bit younger but now I have a choice and I choose to not work when it is so bad.

I'm wondering why you used the winch rather than pulling with the atv?

I recall one day my wife went to the mailbox (about 250 yards from house) and on the way back there were fresh bear tracks! (We had just a very light covering of snow at the time.) It no doubt bothered the bear more than my wife.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, if you have the weather today that we had yesterday, I would not plan on doing a lot of work. Ya, I used to work in this crappy stuff when I was a bit younger but now I have a choice and I choose to not work when it is so bad.

I'm wondering why you used the winch rather than pulling with the atv?

I recall one day my wife went to the mailbox (about 250 yards from house) and on the way back there were fresh bear tracks! (We had just a very light covering of snow at the time.) It no doubt bothered the bear more than my wife.

Sav we had a stand of trees behind the rhino so that was not an option.

zap

Well Zap, you do have a saw. lol

Backwoods Savage said:
Well Zap, you do have a saw. lol

I better take care of whats down first Sav, but there is a nice beech in that area that will come down next spring.

zap

zapny said:
Cluttermagnet said:

zap
Sorry, now that I think about it, that was Mrs. BK up on that shed roof with a hammer.
I'd be more concerned in the spring, myself.

Cluttermagnet said:
zapny said:
Cluttermagnet said:

zap
Sorry, now that I think about it, that was Mrs. BK up on that shed roof with a hammer.

Who is Mrs. BK? (Battenkiller)

zap

zapny said:
Cluttermagnet said:
zapny said:
Cluttermagnet said:

zap

Who is Mrs. BK? (Battenkiller)

zap
Yep, that's her. I wish my partner would help me build a wood shed. But she does at least love wood heat, no doubt about that! :lol:

Hey Zap, I probably missed it in an earlier post, but how much (roughly) property are you trying to clear/ landscape? I'm exhausted just reading these posts. Beautiful work, keep it up, I think everyone here is envious right now( mabey not Dennis). ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.