Wind swept lake, very slick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Took Granddaughter to the lake, She's learning to ice skate.
I'm learning to drive the atv on ice & try to keep up :)
3+ feet of ice.

DSCF0375.JPG DSCF0373.JPG

DSCF0381.JPG

Only doe this a few times when i was younger. Windy day, two people on skates and hold sheet between each skater and your off to the races.

That clear ice is nice. Hardly ever get that before the snow messes it up.

Nice Photos! Curious, how much Ice " do you have up there this time of year? (Yearning to go Pike fishing, but ice is too thin where we go)

A 4x4 atv on smooth ice is a blast. You should be able to throw that thing into something like a donut, only it just sit and spins like there is a stake driven down through the middle of it. I've had to stop because I was dizzy.

I wish I could skate.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Sure looks like perfect skating ice. That's got to be fun. I haven't skated for years but still have my old skates. Kind of silly in our mild climate and foolish given the age of these bones.

Nice Photos! Curious, how much Ice " do you have up there this time of year? (Yearning to go Pike fishing, but ice is too thin where we go)

"Norm" is 3 to 4 feet,
depending on snow cover & temps of course

A 4x4 atv on smooth ice is a blast. You should be able to throw that thing into something like a donut, only it just sit and spins like there is a stake driven down through the middle of it. I've had to stop because I was dizzy.

I wish I could skate.

I did doughnuts while chasing her up & down the lake :)
Was nice & stable having four on the ice.

Looks like fun for sure. Ice skating is one I never could manage but used to have a ball on roller skates.

I have one happy memory of ice skating though. The winter after I had polio, I remember going to a city park to ice skate. That is something my parents used to love to do and my dad was a good skater. I could not skate but that one night I remember two young girls who I had no idea who they were. They came over to me and each grabbed a hand and away we went! The only reason I could go even that way was that I had double runners on both skates. I remember the thrill and so wish I knew who those girls were because I would really like to thank them. Kindness is a lasting thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.