Window turns black

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Skister

Dec 28, 2020
BC, Canada
I just bought a Pleasant Hearth model PH35PS , within hours of running the glass on the door is almost completely black , I’m guessing it has something to do with air flow there is no damper on it so how do I fix that ? Does that have something to do with the tiny dial under the heat control dial ?
thanks

Far as the soot on the soot on the window goes, AFTER you get the combustion trim correct AND NOT BEFORE, take a natural bristle paint brush and remove the soot. Easy-Peasy and it also works while the stove is operating as well, as all view windows will collect a certain amount of ash coating, no matter if the combustion air is correct or not. Just be sure to use a NATURAL BRISTLE paint brush as a poly bristle brush will melt on the hot glass and cause a huge mess. I do mine as the stove is running, just open the door and clean it with a brush.

DO NOT USE a wet paper towel on the hot glass (operating stove) as it will crack and you don't want to know what a replacement thermal glass costs.