Winter 2023-24

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Winter what winter
Warmest December on record here
also no snow at all on the ground
Happy I no longer have a snowmobile!!:)

Same, I’ve been in limbo with trying to get some ash trees cut down, worked way to much OT this past summer and fall, now that I have the time, the ground is not cooperating, I mean I can huff it if I really wanted to, but when you own a machine, life is made easier, so I’m waiting it out

Just had the 2nd warmest December on record in New England. My son went golfing a couple weeks ago.

Nice New Years Day to split wood. I wonder if this is oak? Once I got the rounds in half, it was very easy to split, one swing of the axe did it. If all wood was like this I would almost not consider getting a wood splitter

Wood Jan1.jpg

Reactions: Wildflush
Just had the 2nd warmest December on record in New England. My son went golfing a couple weeks ago.

Nice New Years Day to split wood. I wonder if this is oak? Once I got the rounds in half, it was very easy to split, one swing of the axe did it. If all wood was like this I would almost not consider getting a wood splitter

View attachment 321856
Yup looks like oak to me. Burning some 3 year old plus oak now and brought my Vista up to temp quickly. Cruising at 600 STT soon. 😊

View attachment 321856
Definitely red oak! Primo firewood and nothing splits easier. Makes you feel like Paul Bunyan.

A friend asked me to gold last week with the warm weather but they were still charging way too much so I passed and split wood instead.

Reactions: Stelcom66
Definitely red oak! Primo firewood and nothing splits easier. Makes you feel like Paul Bunyan.

A friend asked me to gold last week with the warm weather but they were still charging way too much so I passed and split wood instead.

So noted! Just the opposite of some stringy or fibrous wood (not sure I'm using the right terms). They can take so long and be very tedious in comparison. Yes, I felt like Hans or Franz splitting the oak!

Not sure if you'll be getting the storm as you're north of me, but after doing some splitting today I may bring a couple of rounds into the garage to split tomorrow. Going to make sure I've got plenty of split wood in the house before the snowfall starts.

So noted! Just the opposite of some stringy or fibrous wood (not sure I'm using the right terms). They can take so long and be very tedious in comparison. Yes, I felt like Hans or Franz splitting the oak!

Not sure if you'll be getting the storm as you're north of me, but after doing some splitting today I may bring a couple of rounds into the garage to split tomorrow. Going to make sure I've got plenty of split wood in the house before the snowfall starts.
I spent all day moving and splitting. Did about 2 cords over the last 2 weeks. Wrapped it up today just before the storm to reclaim the driveway. Im expecting 10" or so. Maybe I'll even get to use my snowblower it's been ages.

Reactions: Stelcom66
Rain, rain and more rain here. Did roast some marshmallows over the coals in the stove though.

Supposedly getting 5-8" tonight. We'll see. I got the snowblower ready in case that's a light estimate but expect to just be shoveling. It's been so long since we've had snow it's really strange.

Under the first snow warning this winter only 15 to 20 cm
Maybe the snow plow will get some work. First time since March last year