Well boys and girls its about that time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Summer is hanging on around here as well. Temps will be in the 90s next week. No matter, I'm getting ready for burn season. Just had a roof leak at the chimney repaired. In a few weeks, will sweep the chimney. Have a two year supply of firewood stacked and covered. About mid-October I'll move wood to the front porch. I usually start burning part time in November. I'm always skeptical of long range winter forecasts but like every year, I hope we get at least one decent snow storm and enough cold temps to kill ticks.

First frost last night in NH, the local mountain near me had ice accumulation the other day. The leaves on the trees are starting to look ready to turn and my minisplit is running on heating mode this AM so it's definitely coming on "shoulder season"

It’s cooling off here each week seemingly. I’m ready for the cooler mornings with a fire to go with coffee. I still need to sweep the chimney!

Pretty much the same here. We have generally started at least a fire or two by Halloween. We still have to do our stack too. We can do ours from bottom up with a soot eater and it takes longer to get the baffle board and burn tubes out than the cleaning process. We have a spare baffle board in storage so I was not in a hurry to do the cleaning I would hate to break that thing accidentally on the day you need the stove. Because that, is my luck.

We had one night of 54 F so far. Lowest daytime temp has been 68. Today 73. Tomorrow until Wednesday above 80.

No heat, no cooling. Sunny weather, so the solar panels are adding to the kWh bank that I'll be using for (minisplit) heat until late October or mid November, based on the last two years before a fire will be had.

I do have a surplus of dry wood though this year, and I do have the itch... So maybe I'll start early. The (la Nina) forecast for my area is unclear as to whether we'll have a normal winter or not (i.e. how much wood I'll be using). So maybe I'll start normal and burn longer, saving kWhs in March and April. We'll see if I can contain myself...

Its amazing what elevation and coastal plain living is like this time of year, last weekend at my place was sunny, dry and 70, just gorgeous, had to run down to the shore for a dinner, left up north and as soon as I hit the parkway by Driscoll bridge I notice the temp was 85 and the humidity picked up to August levels for my house.
This past Thursday we bottomed out at 47, it was so refreshing, there even was a hint of wood smoke in the air which made the morning even better, now I'm not rushing to start burning yet, but I'm ready and my normal start time of just after Halloween is coming sooner then later.

November and December are suppose to come in fast and hard (cold) this year - east of the Rockies. I saw somewhere a prediction of -40 F/-40C. That is cold.

Reactions: ozarkoak
I read that this is year 3 for la Nina, so same weather as last two years?
I'm hoping for a bit more snow this year, our 1st la nina winter was pretty good, last winter was cold but with a snow drought, hopefully this winter has decent storms and not a bitter, the weird thing about last winter was being home and burning less wood then the previous years, but also knowing that it was a longer colder winter too, kinda crazy.

I'm hoping for a bit more snow this year, our 1st la nina winter was pretty good, last winter was cold but with a snow drought, hopefully this winter has decent storms and not a bitter, the weird thing about last winter was being home and burning less wood then the previous years, but also knowing that it was a longer colder winter too, kinda crazy.
Last year was long and cold here too. We raise meat chickens and were having to cover them because of cold into April.