Winter 2023-24

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Today it was time to look ahead and rake up all the odd little bits and pieces of wood that collect around the wood work area. They can do unpleasant things to a snow blower

Reactions: thewoodlands
mowers also

Reactions: Woodsplitter67
Burned 2 small break-ins (soap stone) Cleaned out the stack with the worlds best tool, Soot Eater, that was suggested by my friends @ hearth.com. Next Monday is supposed to be low 30's and we are ready to go. With the Soot eater I can clean 20 or so foot of stack in 10 minutes from the stove side. I sent up a cheap-o Harbor Freight bore scope and the pipe is clean as new and I don't have to worry about falling off my stupidly steep roof.

And.... Shes fired up. low of 46 tonight and high of 48 tomorrow so it aint gonna get any warmer. Next few days lows in the low 20's then looks like by the end of next week we can shut her down again at least for a few days with highs back in the high 60s low 70s.

Reactions: Jonathco
Riding the heat pump for now. Still in the 45 degree range at night and 50s during the day. I love burning but I'm happy to delay it as long as possible and run the pump.

Its been in the 70s during the day and 40s and 50s at night so no need to run anything right now, as the sun by itself is able to heat the house up enough during the day to keep warm for the night.

Looks like it's the start for a bit here.....
Screenshot_20231029_111616_Google.jpg

Reactions: Riff
Riding the heat pump for now. Still in the 45 degree range at night and 50s during the day. I love burning but I'm happy to delay it as long as possible and run the pump.
We have nothing but wood so its either fire the stove or put on a coat. We have 30 meat chickens to process on the 1st and the 2nd so at least it will be good weather.

weather.png

Reactions: Riff
I was just snowing out in my part of NH a few minutes ago, first flakes of the season. It was 70 degrees Saturday.

We have nothing but wood so its either fire the stove or put on a coat. We have 30 meat chickens to process on the 1st and the 2nd so at least it will be good weather.

View attachment 317622
I have solar and a heat pump which works really well together during shoulder season. I could definitely do the wood or nothing thing but this provides nice QOL, a reliable back up heat source, and keeps the insurance company happy.

I'll take 5 chickens please!

Reactions: ozarkoak
Woke up this morning to Two Inches of the white stuff
The better half thinks it's pretty, Me, it's way too early
No fire in the furnace just the pellet stove chugging away

It will be 86 today low on Wednesday is 34. Back up to 76 for the a weekend. Is it August or January? No it’s just November on the NC coast.

Reactions: ozarkoak and Riff
Not supposed to break 60 until Saturday. Was in the 80's this past Sat. Burning Pine/Ash mixed loads. Daytime just a few logs but filling the box overnight. Got a 10 hr burn in last night although the coal bed was not the greatest. Nothing a few pieces of kindling below the pine log could not take care of to get the morning reload going.

Got up to 78F today, by Wed night we're supposed to have a low of 23F. Crazy rollercoaster of weather. The oil furnace was finally finished being installed on Friday so very thankful that its in place and operational.

Got a killing frost last night, -6::C
Not going to warm up today only, -3::C for a high
Still just running the pellet stove
Don't want to start the furnace hopefully not
till the end of November, I hope!!
But the way temps are and the forecast more likely
in 2 weeks it will be pumping heat again.
Got to keep this 1860 log Farm House warm

Got to keep this 1860 log Farm House warm
Sounds like an interesting place. Photos?

We had one log house in the family when I was growing up. Built in 1692 and kept in the family until 1995, but it had been built over and encapsulated within a larger stone house. Aside from recorded history, the only way to tell it started life as a log home was to remove receptacle boxes from the wall, and then you'd find logs and chinking behind the plaster and lathe.

Well its that time of year again. Hope everyone is doing well and is as ready as possible for winter. Looking forward to spending another burning season with you all.
Hey I’m finally getting ready for my first use on the pioneer iii. Going to expose my possible stupidity, how does the front access panel open?!? I’ve tried pushing the corners then pulling, lifting up and out, sliding…can’t figure it out.

Hey I’m finally getting ready for my first use on the pioneer iii. Going to expose my possible stupidity, how does the front access panel open?!? I’ve tried pushing the corners then pulling, lifting up and out, sliding…can’t figure it out.
Well Crap! I was angry enough to really pry on it and got it open. But there’s no way my wife will be able to do it without a pry bar.

What winter. 🥺
Warm and wet, here. Making a mess of the yard, just getting to/from my wood lot with the tractor and equipment.

Warm and wet, here. Making a mess of the yard, just getting to/from my wood lot with the tractor and equipment.
Storms a brewin Jan 6th - 7th for us

Temps dropped to low 20s on the 30th. Burning weather ever since for sure.

Oh, I’ve been burning, 3 loads per day. But we’re getting mostly rain rather than snow, and it’s been too warm for the ground to freeze. We need a good solid stretch of days with highs below 30F to overcome the sun beating on the ground, and get it frozen hard enough to make wood processing less messy. I’m about 2 cords behind on processing, having moved almost 4 cords out of the shed so far this year, and only having had time/weather available to replenish 2 of those cords so far.