winter over seeding lawn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fake coal burner

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2008
Salt Lake City Utah
Has any body had any luck over seeding Kentucky blue grass in winter. Called dormient seeding?

As a third generation commercial farmer, and a grass seed producer, I would have to say that I would heartily recommend "dormant seeding" grass seeding. Dormant seeding means that you seed as late as you can in the fall, so as to place the seed into the ground just before hard winter hits. Thus, the seeds do not germinate, but are placed into the soil and are 'dormant' until early spring. Then they germinate and send down their early small roots while early spring moisture nurtures them.

Must you cover the seed with anything? Must you first dethatch to expose bare soil?

The seed must be in contact with bare soil so that when it germinates in the spring the fine roots will root down into the moist soil. So yes, if there is a lot of dead vegetation on top of the soil, it should be removed by whatever means you can. Live grass plants do not need to be removed, but they should be mowed short.

As to covering the seeds with soil, they do not necessarily need to be covered, especially not deeply. Grass seeds do not have much carbohydrate reserves, and thus do not have the strength to emerge from deep planting. What I used to do is set my seeding drills to drop the seeds directly on top of the ground. Then I chained a set of drag harrows behind the drills just to "scratch in" the seeds. I always had good luck with emergence this way. On a small area, I usually just scratch it in with a garden rake after spreading.

Reactions: Highbeam
Over seeding lawn kgb grass. Thanks for the information. Rained to some to day raked the dead grass out already cut short. Plain on cutting grass real short around thanksgiving and toe behind spike aerator then seed. Its is freezing then threw March around here.Sound right?

Sounds great.

I rented a slice seeder last year, and will probably slice seed again later this month. My lawn is coming in pretty good now.