Winter stove and chimney installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundra550

Jan 25, 2015
Ontario Canada
Ok here goes I am new to site and would like some advice/help. I would like to know if it is possible and how hard will it be to install my new to me wood stove in my garage in the dead of winter? I have about 2 feet of snow on my roof now. I really know this is less then desirable conditions to be doing this but I would like to get my garage heated this winter. If anyone has done this before and has some tips or tricks that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

If that is truly a garage (and not a work shop or similar) I would check first your local building codes and with your home insurance whether a stove in there is even possible. At least in the US, most municipalities don't allow the installation of a solid fuel burning appliance in a garage.

What stove do you want to install?

I have checked with my insurance company and we are alowed to install a wood stove in our garage. The stove must be UL/CSA approved and if not installed by a pro must get a WETT inspection. The added cost per year will be 100.00$ give or take.

we do installs year round you will just have to shovel the smow off and what type of roof are you dealing with? If it is shingle use a heat gun to warm up the shingles so you can work with them.

It is a shingle roof. Can I still use roof tar for under the roof flashing? Will doing it in the winter give me a less than perfect installation? The heat gun is a good idea I was going to use a big propane torch lol your idea seams a lot safer.

No reason you cant do a good install in the winter but dont use roofing tar use a good quality caulk we use geocell 4500

This will cure in cold temps as well?
Some will some wont check the labels i dont know which will off hand. But i think the geocell will

Status
Not open for further replies.