Winter Wood for 2012 and future

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good wood.

NIce wood there.

Great - another poster with the stacking skills of a surgeon to make me feel inadequate. I gotz crooked wood.

Reactions: Nixon
Glenn, we've been cutting dead ash for about 10 years now. Won't get it all cut up yet this winter but probably 2-3 years and we'll have them all cut. That will be a sad day.

The dead ash is a sad thing but it sure has supplied me with a lot of quality firewood. I still get a couple of dead elm trees a year as well. I have one large dead elm to cut this fall, about 2ft at the base with a lot of branches. Should be quite q bit of wood in that one!

Glenn, we too get some dead elm every year. We leave them until most or all of the bark has fallen off. That way they split much easier and don't get all stringy which makes for much better firewood.

The dead ash is a sad thing but it sure has supplied me with a lot of quality firewood. I still get a couple of dead elm trees a year as well. I have one large dead elm to cut this fall, about 2ft at the base with a lot of branches. Should be quite q bit of wood in that one!

Great looking stacks Glennm, where abouts in Southern Ontario are you I'm in Windsor. All of the ash has been dead or dying for at least the last five years here. I went to London on Tuesday and noticed the same on the 401 on the way there but as I got into the city there were lots of live healthy ash everywhere.

I'm just east of the service centre in near Cambrige. We have 13 acres of bush and 400 acres of crown land across the road from me. I work for a company that has locations in London and Windsor so I have seen the dead trees on my travels

Status
Not open for further replies.