1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wireless networking help

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by seige101, Dec 7, 2012.

1. seige101

seige101 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Palmer, MA
    I am trying to figure out how to get internet access out to an outbuilding on the property to connect a security camera DVR, a networked hard drive and possibly a desktop to stream music into the workshop. Neither of the above has wireless capabilities.

I currently have wifi in the house (verizon dsl modem w/ built in router/wifi)

Can i just setup another wireless router to get the signal from the wifi in the house and plug in my devices in the 2nd wireless router in the outbuilding?

I have the wireless network setup in the house fine, but clueless as to what i need to accomplish what i want to in the garage/workshop.

Thanks for the help
    Tim

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. FanMan

FanMan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT stix & upstate NY
    What you need is a wireless bridge, You can't use just any wireless router. Actually you need two devices; one device to act as a wireless client to receive the signal from the primary wireless router in the house, then you connect that (with a wire) to another router or [I think] a basic ethernet switch. I have had good results using a Zoom 4403 in ethernet client mode. The 4403 is a wireless router, but in client mode it's not acting as a router.
  3. Retired Guy

Retired Guy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Vincent, NY
  4. Retired Guy

Retired Guy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Vincent, NY
  5. seige101

seige101 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Palmer, MA
    Currently have a (verizon) Westell 327 DSL modem/ wifi+4 or 5 port router. It supports 802.11 b/g

An internet friend offered this for the cost of shipping http://www.mondoplast.net/datasheets/NL-3054CB3 Deluxe.html If i am reading that plus all your help correctly i believe this is the necessary piece of hardware for my solution.

Thank you!
  6. FanMan

FanMan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT stix & upstate NY
    Another option might a powerline network adapter.