Wireless Thermostat Enviro Meridian

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tdrew34

Nov 15, 2011
VT
I've been trying to figure out what kind of wireless thermostat would work with my Enviro Meridian. I have gone through several posts, and am leaning toward a skytech thermostat.

Before spending the $150 for a thermostat I emailed skytech support and asked them if their thermostat would work for my stove, and they were under the impression that it would not because of the voltage, but I know that there are a lot of guys running these right now with pellet stoves.

My plan is to use it soley with my hi/lo setting.

Anyone have any sugestions or using this set up right now?

Thanks

Ted

The Meridian uses a millivolt stat. Same as many other pellet units. I don't think you'll have an issue.

Just in case post the Skytech model your looking at and some one will take a look.

I've been looking into thermostats a lot lately. One thing we determined is that some Skytech models (5301P in particular) don't have a 'set back' temperature. They are either at a set hi temperature or off. My stove isn't hi/low so maybe that's OK in your situation but for me I want one that allow 2 different temps - the hi temp and the 'set back' low temp. Some Skytech models do have a set back temp. You have to look in each pdf manual to find out. They don't list it in the 'features'. Again, it may not make any difference to you in the way you plan to use it...

The Model I was looking at was the 3301 or 3301p (programmable). I believe this model has the swing temp if you run it in thermo mode which is what you need to run it on hi/lo?

I'm still trying to figure it out.

DonD said:
I've been looking into thermostats a lot lately. One thing we determined is that some Skytech models (5301P in particular) don't have a 'set back' temperature. They are either at a set hi temperature or off. My stove isn't hi/low so maybe that's OK in your situation but for me I want one that allow 2 different temps - the hi temp and the 'set back' low temp. Some Skytech models do have a set back temp. You have to look in each pdf manual to find out. They don't list it in the 'features'. Again, it may not make any difference to you in the way you plan to use it...

Don,
I'm confused about what you mean by setback? The 5301P has the adjustable swing (1-3F). Also is programmable to come on/off anytime you want. I must be missing something.

tdrew34 said:
The Model I was looking at was the 3301 or 3301p (programmable). I believe this model has the swing temp if you run it in thermo mode which is what you need to run it on hi/lo?

I'm still trying to figure it out.

I have the 3301P. Got for like $95 new on ebay. Works great.

I have ordered a 3301p and I have been reading through my manual and service book for the enviro and have not found a definitive answer on how to adjust the Hi setting and the Lo setting. Can someone shed some light on how this would work?

flynfrfun said:
DonD said:

Don,
I'm confused about what you mean by setback? The 5301P has the adjustable swing (1-3F). Also is programmable to come on/off anytime you want. I must be missing something.

My guess is that the stove has no "low" setting, for example on my stove hits the temperature I set the thermostat at (for example 70), it goes into "standby" mode, which is the lowest setting, basically just enough to keep it going and outputting bare minimum heat. The stove/thermostat he's talking about only shuts off, which means it has to be relit once the temperature drops on your thermostat, which obviously puts wear and tear on the ignition system.

I think I'm getting it right.

tdrew34 said:
I have ordered a 3301p and I have been reading through my manual and service book for the enviro and have not found a definitive answer on how to adjust the Hi setting and the Lo setting. Can someone shed some light on how this would work?

Are you talking about running the stove in high/low mode or the thermostat as a programmable setback unit.

High/low usually is the stove running in what is known as high/low mode, the stove when it sees a call for heat goes to the firing rate you set the stove to this is known as high when the the call for heat is satisfied the the stove goes to its lowest firing rate.

Setback is accomplished by programing the thermostat for different set point temperatures at the times you want to reduce the heat in the room/house.

Swing is different than either of the above, what it does is widen the call for heat time, the set point temperature - swing is the actual temperature the area must drop to before the thermostat calls for heat and the set point temperature + swing is the temperature that the area must reach before the call for heat is satisfied.

I am going to run it in hi low mode. I'm trying to figure out how to if possible set my low stove setting and my hi setting. For example I'd like to run my stove at 2 for low and 4 for hi.

tdrew34 said:
I am going to run it in hi low mode. I'm trying to figure out how to if possible set my low stove setting and my hi setting. For example I'd like to run my stove at 2 for low and 4 for hi.

You usually can not set a stove's low setting, the stoves controller will go to its lowest firing rate for the low setting. Read your stove's manuals.

STB is correct (as usual)

A wall thermostat functions as a fancy on-off switch.
It simply opens or closes a circuit when the set point temperatures are reached.
Swing is a window around the upper and lower set points where the circuit kicks open or closed.
Most also have time of day controls for lifestyle adjustments. (i.e. warm during day, cooler at night)
This is different from stove controls.

On my Enviro M55C I have Manual/Hi-Low/On-Off operations
Manual is just that. On where you set it until you change it.

Stove Hi-Low functions with the thermo.
You set the stove controls where you want it to run for heat.
In my case it is Heat Level #4. I have the Auger and Combustion trim settings at 2 and 2 (still adjusting these)
When the Thermostat reaches its low temp set point the switch closes (with an audible snap)
and the stove ramps up to where you have it set to run.
Once the room warms to the Thermostat Hi set point the switch opens and the stove ramps down to its heat level #1 setting.
The cycle continues until you run out of pellets or shut it down.

Stove On-Off mode also works with the thermo.
It basically works the same as Stove Hi-Low except the stove goes into cold shutdown cycle once thermo hi set point is reached.
When thermo Low setpoint calls for heat the circuit closes and the stove fires up from cold until the thermo is satisfied and it shuts back down.
This uses less fuel if the shut down period is long enough.
But it does cycle your ignighter.

I have been running mine in Hi-Low mode for most of the season.
It saves me pellets by only heating house to what is needed for comfort.
Instead of running in manual where I would have to feel "too warm" then adjust the stove until "too cold"

I don't know if you can adjust your stove "low limit" or not. I don't believe I can with mine.

I find, when using a thermostat the house temperatures are better balanced and it's more comfortable.

Hope that helps,
---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.