Wobbly / loose door handle - BK Ashford 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Propane_Poor

Oct 20, 2018
Ohio
Hi all, I told myself this year I'd get the wobbly door handle fixed on my Ashford 30. It latches tight, but the handle wobbles side to side. The problem is, I don't see an easy way to adjust this permanently. It's almost like the pin needs a bushing. Any suggestions or anyone know of replacement parts that could help?
Thanks,

Hi @Propane_Poor

I recently made a post on this topic as well. A few folks offered some input that was worthy/helpful. Others...not so much.

It may be the allen screws inside the door...under the gasketing...or...it may be that you aren't operating your stove properly and have been overtightening your door. I'm sure one of the resident experts will let you know.

I bought new gasketing and am going to install a new handle on my main stove. I have new gasketing for my other stoves as well but have yet to purchase new handles for those stoves. Not sure if your Ashford has the same handle as the Princess or not. Either way, there are no parts to fix them...as easy/inexpensive as that would be. I'm sure BK has that race inside there if they make their own handles. It is what it is though.

best of luck....

I just looked. The handles are different...but I wonder if the materials used in their construction are?

FWIW....I disassembled the Princess handle. It's a push pin...as I suspected...easily knocked out with the right punch. Once apart I see it's NOT a bushing...it's a rod w/2 washers...one on each side...that travels through the BRASS fitting that affixes to the door. Over time the brass wears...and the washer has somewhat waffled to mirror that wear....and that's where the wobble is. Guessing here...but I'd wager you are seeing 2 washers...not a bushing...but it could be different as Hell. Wadda I know anyway?...LOL.

The point...even if they are different...is that you may be able to fix it with a trip to the hardware store if you can see how it's constructed/etc. That's the plan here. Best of luck!

Hi @Propane_Poor

I recently made a post on this topic as well. A few folks offered some input that was worthy/helpful. Others...not so much.

It may be the allen screws inside the door...under the gasketing...or...it may be that you aren't operating your stove properly and have been overtightening your door. I'm sure one of the resident experts will let you know.

I bought new gasketing and am going to install a new handle on my main stove. I have new gasketing for my other stoves as well but have yet to purchase new handles for those stoves. Not sure if your Ashford has the same handle as the Princess or not. Either way, there are no parts to fix them...as easy/inexpensive as that would be. I'm sure BK has that race inside there if they make their own handles. It is what it is though.

best of luck....
Howdy, I tried to respond to your post about this a month or so ago, but the site would’nt let me log in with the accesscodes ??
Anyway, I had both of my handles fixed over the last few years..
I removed the doors, took em to a machinest friend who bored out the brass block and made bushings for em… nice and tight now..
I was pissed thinkin I’d have to spend 175 bucks for a complete handle assembly, when all I needed was a bushing that honestly should be in there from the factory !!
Steel and brass do not get along very well when there’s friction involved..

Thanks for chiming in @showrguy . Sounds like you have multiple stoves as well.

It's a poor design meant to wear. When BKVP said it was 2 different metals I was thinking 2 different grades of steel...not brass. (say WHAT?) Easy to work with but not very durable...especially for those of us running our stoves totally wrong. LOFL. I'm betting there are a lot of loose handles out there. I did find a replacement handle for $70 that appears to be same damn thing. Even if it wore out in a few years yer still where ya are now...LOL. Somebody is greedy AF. Anything BK is like buying for yer Mercedes. Need a $600 replacement ashtray?

Yeah...a slight sand to smoothe the wear and a fatter washer will fix it here...but I like your bushing idea. If I still had access to a machine shop I'd make one. I'm guessing there's too much liability involved for BK to actually offer advice/help so folks can try to fix stuff like this....oh...and there's HUGE profit in it if they don't.

I appreciate the volly and the knowledge that I'm not the only one seeing this happen.

Reactions: showrguy