Wood Boiler Add on Venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2010
Nova Scotia
Hello,

I am pondering a wood add on boiler to coincide with my current oil bioler. My question is, would I be able to vent the wood boiler into the same flue as my oil burner?. I have a masonry chimney with dual clay liners. One liner is in use for my Fireplace insert.
I found the attached diagram online from a boiler manufacturer which suggests they can be vented into the same flue with the wood vent below oil.

Thanks in Advance

Attachments

• boiler.jpg
    boiler.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 259
I would highly suggest you check with your insurance company first and then second probably fire codes , both will probably say this is a big no no , But on the other hand my old man has been burning this way for better than 50 years .

You need each applance on it own flue.

I can't imagine what manufacturer would suggest this is an acceptable way to vent. Unless the chimney has two seperate cavities inside, I don't think this will ever meet code.

From a practical standpoint many of us boiler operators have experienced "very bad draft" days where getting draft is nearly impossible. Typically when it's very very cold outside I sometimes struggle to get draft initially on start up. Running this shared flue arrangement on these kinds of days will be bad news. You'll smoke the house out something fierce, or worse, with no good way to control it...

Thanks for the comments.

I agree it most likely isn't legally allowed, let alone a good idea, I'm just wondering what my options are.
I wonder if it would be possible to vent the oil boiler exhaust to the outside and use the flue for the wood boiler.
Does oil boiler exhaust have to be vented through a chimney or could it vent to the outside just above the foundation using the correct pipe?

your going to need another chimney

Status
Not open for further replies.