Wood burner newbie chimney help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drabe95

Oct 30, 2017
CNY
Hello all,
I recently purchased a farm house that dates to the 1870s in Central New York. The house is equipped with a brand new propane furnace but I don't really like paying for it. There is also a Kent tile fire in the basement. The stove is solid and appears to be in good condition besides a stick damper. My concern is with the chimney. There is a masonry chimney with a liner in it for the stove venting. I am preparing to clean this chimney for the season and it looks like it's a single wall pipe inside the chimney. I'm new to this, first home and first time with a stove. I want this done right and not risk my home or myself nor my girlfriend's life. How wrong is this setup. Am I stuck shelling out $509 for the liner

Hello all,
I recently purchased a farm house that dates to the 1870s in Central New York. The house is equipped with a brand new propane furnace but I don't really like paying for it. There is also a Kent tile fire in the basement. The stove is solid and appears to be in good condition besides a stick damper. My concern is with the chimney. There is a masonry chimney with a liner in it for the stove venting. I am preparing to clean this chimney for the season and it looks like it's a single wall pipe inside the chimney. I'm new to this, first home and first time with a stove. I want this done right and not risk my home or myself nor my girlfriend's life. How wrong is this setup. Am I stuck shelling out $509 for the liner
Well single wall may be fine it may not we have no way of knowing without seeing it. And $509 is really really cheap. How tall is the chimney?

Here is a picture of where the stove pipe goes into the chimney and up. I should've clarified they are using single wall as a liner. The chimney is between 35 and 40ft. My $500 was an estimate. I'm seeing it closer to $700 for a new liner

Attachments

• Wood burner newbie chimney help
    IMG_2670.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 116
Here is a picture of where the stove pipe goes into the chimney and up. I should've clarified they are using single wall as a liner. The chimney is between 35 and 40ft. My $500 was an estimate. I'm seeing it closer to $700 for a new liner
Most liners are single wall. What I can see there does not look right it looks like an elbow at the bottom instead of a tee. But I can't tell is it is stainless or not because it is so dirty.

And $700 is really low for 35 to 40' I would be worried about the quality at that price. And I am sure insulation is not included in that price either.

So the liner is stainless. Did the old magnet test, so besides being really dirty I need to change the elbow to a tee? What is the reason for this? I don't really see an easy way for fixing that without making the hole in the existing masnoery chimney larger

So the liner is stainless. Did the old magnet test, so besides being really dirty I need to change the elbow to a tee? What is the reason for this? I don't really see an easy way for fixing that without making the hole in the existing masnoery chimney larger
So when stuff falls down in the liner it doesn't block it off right away the way it does with an elbow. And yes the easiest way to do it is to make the hole bigger.