Wood burning Fireplace insert recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Thelewis1985

Dec 3, 2020
Pittsburgh
Looking for a woodburning fireplace insert recommendation. I have a 1500 sq ft house, that uses propane. Looking for an insert that can heat the house to cut back on using so much propane. Basically I'm looking for the best budget insert, not looking to spend more than $1500-$2000

The best one will be the one that fits the fireplace. Drolet and True North make good inserts in that price range.

Is this a masonry fireplace? About how tall is the chimney?

The best one will be the one that fits the fireplace. Drolet and True North make good inserts in that price range.

Is this a masonry fireplace? About how tall is the chimney?
Yes it's a masonry fireplace, not sure the height of chimney, I live in a cape cod so the chimney is 2 floors plus I would say about 10-12feet on room.
Screenshot_20201205-133122_Gallery.jpg

Put the biggest firebox you can in there.

Welcome to the forums !

That will be fine then. The next step is to measure the fireplace firebox, front and back and include the top and bottom depths. Look up those two stoves and see if they fit well. Note that the chimney will need an insulated 6" liner and should have a block-off plate in the damper area. This could add another $2k to the budget unless DIY.

E2A0BB8B-5341-477A-85D7-0CB54F53D403.jpeg

i Have a Regency i2450 classic with all black door accents. My house is two story chalet style 1500 sq feet as well and this unit pumps out a lot of heat. It was expensive though, it came to about 3000$ plus install was about750 andtax. Thoseare Canadian dollars by the way. It’s a really beautiful unit I couldn’t be happier with it!

Jotul 5500 Rockland.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 134