Wood burning fireplace reface frame question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mnemonik24

Jan 22, 2019
US
Hello everyone!

I'm planning on putting a stone around our wood burning fireplace that has a gas insert.
I decided to add a bit of a 3D look by building a 2x4 frame in front of it (since fireplace is flushed with the wall).

3/4" quartz ledger stone will be placed on top of the cement board. Cement board around the fireplace frame is sealed with Rutland 500°RTV High Heat Silicone. Bottom of the fireplace box is approximately 7" from the sub floor.

Question: am I ok by having 2x4 frame covered in Durock/stone around the fireplace, especially below the fireplace opening (see second picture)? I'm honestly worrying now if that was a good idea...

Thanks!

Attachments

• fireplace1.jpg
    fireplace1.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 272
  • fireplace2.jpg
    fireplace2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 237
Hello everyone!

I'm planning on putting a stone around our wood burning fireplace that has a gas insert.
I decided to add a bit of a 3D look by building a 2x4 frame in front of it (since fireplace is flushed with the wall).

3/4" quartz ledger stone will be placed on top of the cement board. Cement board around the fireplace frame is sealed with Rutland 500°RTV High Heat Silicone. Bottom of the fireplace box is approximately 7" from the sub floor.

Question: am I ok by having 2x4 frame covered in Durock/stone around the fireplace, especially below the fireplace opening (see second picture)? I'm honestly worrying now if that was a good idea...

Thanks!
No you can't have wood there. What type of fireplace is this? Do you have before pics

No you can't have wood there. What type of fireplace is this? Do you have before pics
It's a wood burning fireplace with gas insert. Here are the pictures from before and frame:

Attachments

• fp1.jpg
    fp1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 343
  • fp2.jpg
    fp2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 352
  • fp3.jpg
    fp3.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 695
Ok find out what model the fireplace is then look up the manual. It will give you the clearance requirements for that fireplace. Then get the manual for the insert. Go with the largest requirements and that is what you need.

Ok find out what model the fireplace is then look up the manual. It will give you the clearance requirements for that fireplace. Then get the manual for the insert. Go with the largest requirements and that is what you need.
BeforvI built the frame I talked to the fireplace store people and was told as long as I use cement board and stone on top of the frame it is considered a non combastibe surface. I’m confused...

BeforvI built the frame I talked to the fireplace store people and was told as long as I use cement board and stone on top of the frame it is considered a non combastibe surface. I’m confused...
You talked to the wrong people that is completely false

Look up the manuals they will tell you what is required
Label says model KR-43 but I can’t find a manual for it.

Assuming I’ll find the specs, what can you recommend on fixing what I have built so far? I can’t believe this is happening to me...

Assuming I’ll find the specs, what can you recommend on fixing what I have built so far? I can’t believe this is happening to me...
I don't know you need to meet the specs of both the fireplace and insert. You should have had all of this info before starting any work.

Is it a superior fireplace? I think thats who makes kr43

Remove the durock and replace the framing by studding it out with metal studs then reapply the durock. That's the easy, off the cuff answer but before I'd do anything I'd follow bholler's instructions and find the manual and get the clearances for both appliances.

I'd also check your instructions for the combustible hearth extension - the area in front of the fireplace. There should probably be some type of sheet metal or something noncombustible that slides under the firebox and then out to the front of the extension to prevent embers from falling down there and starting a fire.

Remove the durock and replace the framing by studding it out with metal studs then reapply the durock. That's the easy, off the cuff answer but before I'd do anything I'd follow bholler's instructions and find the manual and get the clearances for both appliances.
The entire frame or only around the clearances?

to prevent embers from falling down there and starting a fire.

It's a GAS insert like he stated 2 times. If he has embers falling out, he has bigger issues :eek:

Am I ok by replacing this part of the frame with metal studs, provided the rest of the wood frame will satisfy the clearences?

Attachments

• F04C8C92-9726-47CE-AEA9-253092DF1406.jpeg
    F04C8C92-9726-47CE-AEA9-253092DF1406.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 4,093
It's a GAS insert like he stated 2 times. If he has embers falling out, he has bigger issues :eek:
It is a gas insert going into a woodburning fireplace it needs to be done to woodburning standards

Reactions: HomeinPA
Am I ok by replacing this part of the frame with metal studs, provided the rest of the wood frame will satisfy the clearences?
Find the manuals and see what is required before doing anything at all

Find the manuals and see what is required before doing anything at all
After taling with various support guys for this fireplace the Clearances from the fireplace opening are: 12” on top, 6” on the sides and bottom and 20” in front.

Can metal studs be attached to wood studs?

After taling with various support guys for this fireplace the Clearances from the fireplace opening are: 12” on top, 6” on the sides and bottom and 20” in front.

Can metal studs be attached to wood studs?

Yes they can.

Are you asking if that improves clearances? Then yes, it will not be counted against as a "combustible". You would them measure "through" the metal stud until you hit a combustible.

So if you are asking if putting them onto the framing already there helps, no it wont.

I would replace the cripples above the lower header. Actually, I'd take a reciprocating saw and cut everything from the bottom of the upper header down to the floor off leaving the outside studs and frame it back in with metal. You've really overbuilt what you've done, which isn't bad, just seemingly unnecessary unless I'm missing something. Overbuilt is always better than underbuilt.....that's not really a word is it?

underbuilt.....that's not really a word is it?
No, but it could be a hyphenated word. Luckily, we don't have to follow code when installing words. ;lol

I would replace the cripples above the lower header. Actually, I'd take a reciprocating saw and cut everything from the bottom of the upper header down to the floor off leaving the outside studs and frame it back in with metal. You've really overbuilt what you've done, which isn't bad, just seemingly unnecessary unless I'm missing something. Overbuilt is always better than underbuilt.....that's not really a word is it?
I definitelly overbuilt it - my first 2x4 frame...
Thanks for the advice on the frame. This is what I ended up last night with (still have to cut the bottom part). Will start building metal frame within today:

Attachments

• 93FB2FDC-5CF0-4E8F-8DCA-E6AC28FC9487.jpeg
    93FB2FDC-5CF0-4E8F-8DCA-E6AC28FC9487.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 410
I definitelly overbuilt it - my first 2x4 frame...
Thanks for the advice on the frame. This is what I ended up last night with (still have to cut the bottom part). Will start building metal frame within today:
Did you find the manual and confirm that your revised plan meets the requirements?