Wood burning fireplace reface frame question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is that drywall around the insert? Maybe it's just the way the picture shows up on my phone, but looks a little charred around the edges.

Is that drywall around the insert? Maybe it's just the way the picture shows up on my phone, but looks a little charred around the edges.
No he repainted the face (hopefully with stove paint. That is overspray you are seeing

Reactions: mnemonik24
I would replace the cripples above the lower header. Actually, I'd take a reciprocating saw and cut everything from the bottom of the upper header down to the floor off leaving the outside studs and frame it back in with metal. You've really overbuilt what you've done, which isn't bad, just seemingly unnecessary unless I'm missing something. Overbuilt is always better than underbuilt.....that's not really a word is it?
I definitelly overbuilt it - my first 2x4 frame...
Thanks for the advice on the frame. This is what I ended up last night with. Will start building metal frame within today:
Did you find the manual and confirm that your revised plan meets the requirements?

Did you find the manual and confirm that your revised plan meets the requirements?

Here are clearences from the manual.

I have two questions:

1) I wanted to put 1/4” hardibacker and 3/8” ceramic tile as my hearth extension. I looked up the K value of 1/4” hardibacker and specs says:
Hardiebacker 1/4" thermal conductivity - k-
value 7.8 Btu/(ft2 × h × °F) (13.5 W/(m × K))

When I tried to use the formula from the manual the result I get is quite large just for hardibacker itself.
How do I properly calculate how thick hardibacker should be with 3/8” tile for a hearth extension?

2) Can I build on top of hearth extension with metal framing/durock/stone like I was planning in my original post?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Wood burning fireplace reface frame question
    64BF32B7-1D80-4C18-8ABF-D121769328AC.png
    238.3 KB · Views: 106
    EE10586C-5155-4238-B456-0FB4298B351B.png
    262.7 KB · Views: 109
    4E708680-7CEE-40B3-9244-4B8C004E2174.png
    294.7 KB · Views: 126
When I did a raised hearth extension on one the first thing I did was get a flat piece of 22-24 gauge sheet metal the length and width of the new hearth extension. Then had that slid up under the face of the fireplace, not just the new opening you've framed in, and secured it along the edges. I wanted something extra under whatever I did just in case something dropped between the hearth extension and the fireplace opening. Then built it out with metal studs, sealed all the edge with caulking and glued the cement board down to make it solid then laid hearth stones on top of it all.

When I did a raised hearth extension on one the first thing I did was get a flat piece of 22-24 gauge sheet metal the length and width of the new hearth extension. Then had that slid up under the face of the fireplace, not just the new opening you've framed in, and secured it along the edges. I wanted something extra under whatever I did just in case something dropped between the hearth extension and the fireplace opening. Then built it out with metal studs, sealed all the edge with caulking and glued the cement board down to make it solid then laid hearth stones on top of it all.

I wanted to build on top of the hearth extension that is on the floor like in this picture. Is that considered a raised hearth even hearth is slready on the bottom?

Attachments

EBA42C1D-71E7-469B-A971-C5EBFFE69CE1.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 104
    6BAE27F6-B8F3-4A93-BC72-83A77DF8A1E8.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 110

Have any pictures for reference?

I wanted to build on top of the hearth extension that is on the floor like in this picture. Is that considered a raised hearth even hearth is slready on the bottom?

Are you making the new hearth extension level with the edge of the framed out opening? That would be a raised hearth extension...yes. The ember protector that you show in the drawing is what I'm talking about. I just took mine out to the front edge of the opening to give another full layer of protection, not just under the gap. Then I built the metal frame for the raised hearth on top. Mine was about a 12" raised hearth where yours is about 2 inches or so.