1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood burning insert ? (pic inside)

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by a5t1, May 5, 2013.

1. coldkiwi

coldkiwi Member

Loc:
    Socal
    Depending on how handy you are a liner install is not a big deal(with a friend or 2)Look on ebay for a liner kit, 300 bucks and up.Scour craigslist over the summer for a good used insert you should be able to come in around or under a grand for the whole job.Luckily you have a lot of time before next winter.You will get a LOT of help on this great forum.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. a5t1

a5t1 Member

Loc:
    UP
    The plot thickens! The owner removed the insert and there is a heatilator behind it (or part of the insert, I'm not sure. ) Here are some pics. How would you all suggest moving forward with this?

[​IMG]

And a picture facing up at the damper...
    [​IMG]

Some creosotoe buildup?

[​IMG]
  3. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames Feeling the Heat

Nothing out of the norm here. You will have to cut that damper out enough to fit the liner down. Search around on this site, I know there are pics of dampers cut out. That damper looks quite large, is it possible to squeak a 6" liner around with out cutting it?
  4. a5t1

a5t1 Member

Loc:
    UP
    After we close on the house I suppose the plasma cutter is going to be used...
  5. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames Feeling the Heat

An angle grinder works great also.
  6. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Plasma is a PIA to move around with while in there and getting setup, a sawzall or angle grinder works great.