a5t1 Posted By a5t1, May 5, 2013 at 9:30 AM

1. coldkiwi

coldkiwi
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

May 2, 2012
    Loc:
    Socal
    Depending on how handy you are a liner install is not a big deal(with a friend or 2)Look on ebay for a liner kit, 300 bucks and up.Scour craigslist over the summer for a good used insert you should be able to come in around or under a grand for the whole job.Luckily you have a lot of time before next winter.You will get a LOT of help on this great forum.

2. a5t1

a5t1
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 6, 2011
    Loc:
    UP
    The plot thickens! The owner removed the insert and there is a heatilator behind it (or part of the insert, I'm not sure. ) Here are some pics. How would you all suggest moving forward with this?

[​IMG]

And a picture facing up at the damper...
    [​IMG]

Some creosotoe buildup?

[​IMG]

3. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 26, 2012
    Nothing out of the norm here. You will have to cut that damper out enough to fit the liner down. Search around on this site, I know there are pics of dampers cut out. That damper looks quite large, is it possible to squeak a 6" liner around with out cutting it?

4. a5t1

a5t1
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 6, 2011
    Loc:
    UP
    After we close on the house I suppose the plasma cutter is going to be used...

5. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 26, 2012
    An angle grinder works great also.

6. mellow

mellow
    Resident Stove Connoisseur 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2008
    Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Plasma is a PIA to move around with while in there and getting setup, a sawzall or angle grinder works great.