wood burning inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doeboy

Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2009
Northern New Jersey
O.K. guys, need some advice and some education. I am going to install a wood burning insert in my new home( ran out of money when we first built) i am looking into a Biss unit or a Lenox but am interested in any advice or other types i can start to research. any advise or help would be appreciated. Only interested in inserts and burning wood! got the wood burning stove int he garage!

Thanks,

Doeboy

Need more information. Pictures would be nice. Size of room it will be installed in. Type of chimney/flue.......
Where in Northern NJ. I am in Somerset County.

Is there an existing fireplace that needs an insert or will this be a completely new installation?

It's a new install. it will be located at the end of the house in the family room. The family room is opened to kitchen and mud room. The house design is a center hall colonial. My plan is to have a chase built on the outside of the house and use st.steel pipe for the chimney and then stone the outside. My brother is a stone mason and will be doing all of the stone work. Actually looking for a builder for the chase if any of you guys Know of anyone in northern new jersey. I will tryt o snap some pictures and post them this weekend so you guys can geta feel. Looking for prefered types of units, advice on blower units and any other info needed for th install.

You don't want an insert unless you already have a fireplace to insert it into.
You want an EPA approved wood burning zero clearance fireplace.
Heat n Glo Northstar or a Quadrafire 7100 are those type of units.
Regency Warm Hearth and Bodart & Gonay are a couple of others that I'm familiar with.
I'm sure others here can recommend additional ones.
They're BIG units & most of them have heat zone options to move heat to other rooms via b-vent systems.
Do some research on them & figure out which one fits your needs & your wallet.
You should be able to claim the 30% tax credit - up to $1500 - with any of them.
Let us know how you make out.

rsf or xtrodinarie. some bucks have a ZC enclosure for their stoves.. also jotul is coming out w/ an approve zc enclosure to fit all of their inserts that connects to the insulated pipe, and also has extra heat ports that act kinda like the old heatilatior ducts w/ pure gravity and convection... no extra elec blowers other than on the inset itself ()which all come standard w/ blowers).... the other solution would be to have your mason build a masonry firebox, and run a class a insulated chim utilizing a masonry anchor plate (see selkirk)

karl said:
Why couldn't he use a zero clearance insert/

Because there isn't anything to insert it into.

If nothing is currently installed there are a couple options. One is the ZC fireplace (not an insert). Another, less expensive and often more effective heating option would be a good free-standing woodstove with a nice fire view.

Is there any reason you want to stay away from freestanding stoves? There are alot of great stoves out there. Most have a very large viewing glass! I don't know very many people that would pick a fireplace, or insert over a freestanding if they got to choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.