Wood Burning stove in a Bedroom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mariacw

Hearth Supporter
Apr 17, 2007
Maryland, Central MD
Does anyone know where I could find information on installing a wood stove into a bedroom? I have been working in this industry for about six years and thought woodstoves just could not be installed into bedrooms. I can find this mentioned in the Jotul install manuals but I can't find anything about this for other brand of wood stove I sell, Quadra-Fire. Is it a national code violation to put a wood stove in a bed room or is it brand specific?

a job that i was working on that was a total rebuild of a house and 2nd floor addition the guy that owned it wanted a wood fireplace in his master bedroom and the state say's no wood one's but gas only. in other words you can possibly die from carbon monoxide but not fire. at least here in mass that is the code. i'm not sure about anywhere else.

Thanks again after reading about 1/2 way through that other forum, I have made my mind up that I will not sell or install woodstoves into a bedroom. If a customer wants to find another dealer that's willing to take the risk or outright ignor common sence that's fine. I actually told the customer in concern they may find another dealer out there willing to say it would be o.k. to install a wood stove in a bedroom.

my parents lived in mexico for a couple years in the desert area cold nights. there wood stove was in there bedroom. no code rules there. haha. i dont know how anyone could sleep in that heat anyway. yuk.

Status
Not open for further replies.