Wood cinders??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eater309

Oct 27, 2011
E. Central IL
I have been getting a lot of what I call wood cinders in my ashes. Hard texture like coal cinders but can be easily crushed.
Been burning some elm, little oak and some mulberry. Anyone else get this stuff?

Wood cinders??

Clinkers are an annual thread topic. There have been several over the years.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I have been getting a lot of what I call wood cinders in my ashes. Hard texture like coal cinders but can be easily crushed.
Been burning some elm, little oak and some mulberry. Anyone else get this stuff?

View attachment 269128
I get a few clinkers when I burn American Elm, more of them when I burn Red ( Slippery ) Elm.

I get them quite often and I burn mostly oak and hickory. I've heard its the minerals in the wood left over after burning and they kind of bond together during burns but I don't know if that's true.

Reactions: JimBear
Grizzled, that's what I'm thinking causes it. Just started seeing it happen past two seasons out of 20 or more. Guess I'll have to search the topic threads for more info. Thanks for input.

I seem to get them commonly with Elm...and sometimes Oak too...