wood cutting with garden tractors - PICS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
no 4x4 , i wish it was

Oh well. Those chains must really help on the other ones. I need to get a set for my tractor. Time for me to sell a few things I don't need anymore and free up the money to do that. ;lol

I know you folks all know how to work safe with these small rigs, but a word of caution: Take care going down hill with a full load or it may push you places you don't want to go. I came home from work one day to find a friend's garden tractor dangling in mid air over my retaining wall. Luckily, the trailer went sideways, and decided not to follow. I lost another friend in a similar situation with a 9N. It's not all about pulling power, but can you control the load?

Welcom back! Don't be such a stranger! But with all that wood to process and those fun toys I guess you ain't got much time fur talkin'.:cool:

Here's both of my IH Cub Cadet 149s ready for snow. Just in case it actually snows this winter.

Attachments

• DSC07375.JPG
    DSC07375.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 520
My 420 with rear lugs and locking rear. With lug tires I don't need chains. On a previous tactor I had turf tires and did need chains.

Attachments

• jd420 trailer.JPG
    jd420 trailer.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 276
My tractor is useless going uphill in the snow But it gets converted to snow blowing duty in the winter anyway.

Snow cab is worth it's weight in gold!

Tractor 02 small.jpg

I run a "green machine" around alot much of the year too unless I head out back with the 5 x 10' trailer. JD Sabre with hydro transmission, chains on and deck off in the winter. I have two of these, one to mow the lawn, and one to play "baby brush hog" out back!

sabre.jpg

did our last haul for now . get back at it next week after the weather is better.
0001123004.jpg

0001123005.jpg

built a new saw buck friday. old one was bad shape.
old
0001123001.jpg

0001123003.jpg

new
0001123007.jpg

Reactions: Thistle
My tractor is useless going uphill in the snow But it gets converted to snow blowing duty in the winter anyway.

Snow cab is worth it's weight in gold!

View attachment 89977

I started out as a diehard wheel horse guy. I have had plenty of them here. mostly the older 1960's ones. they are tough simple built easy to work on tractors, but they just did not cut it for plowing my extreme driveway and the logging i do. its that limted slip trans that holds them back.

wood pile as of today. need to take a break from loads and get this cut and split up to make room for more.

woodpile001_zpsb1d08ac6.jpg

woodpile002_zpsd0068ae6.jpg

woodpile003_zps286f8f80.jpg

Reactions: Thistle
You got some splitting to do!

Perry, REALLY cool tractors!

I would LOVE one of those things! I really need a little tractor of some sort... right now I'M the tractor!

Nice work Perry. What are you going to split that wood with?

1975 John Deere 110 with 10HP Kohler.Built like a tank.

"real" Deere tractors tend to be well built.... The big box JD branded lawn tractors are junk... I like my JD1050 4x4 W/ a JD 75 loader and a JD8 backhoe.... except for the fact that it's power steering setup was designed by a moron... The tractor is currently down... again... because of it

Old Steel is hard to beat.... They just don't make'em like they used to :(

Sometimes that's good, sometimes it's not... My Dad's Farmall M has the same PTO HP as my JD.... and was easily 5-7gal/hr to run... The Yanmar in my 1050 uses a little over 2gal/hr at rated power running my 5' brushhog...

I must say though, if the M had a live PTO, I'd much rather run a baler off of it than the much lighter JD

1973 wheelhorse 14 hp calcium cloride ( weight ) in tires made them very heavy & wheel weights! 5000 watt generator ,3 pt .hyd work .Everything works like new & added lighting thats really usable My brother GAVE me this , I got a really good brother!P1010478.jpg P1010476.jpg P1010474.jpg

The genny setup is sweet on that wheelhorse.
A dual purpose counterweight

The genny setup is sweet on that wheelhorse.
A dual purpose counterweight

Told my brother I was going to buy an other gen so I can run my water pump (220) and my 2 Honda 2000 's only do 110 . He said I can have the WH so I don't need to get gen . Water in green barn .have pigtail to pump outside , drive WH to green barn , plug in & have water when power goes out .

Cheers

Told my brother I was going to buy an other gen so I can run my water pump (220) and my 2 Honda 2000 's only do 110 . He said I can have the WH so I don't need to get gen . Water in green barn .have pigtail to pump outside , drive WH to green barn , plug in & have water when power goes out . Cheers

Nice machine Jack Fate.

1973 wheelhorse 14 hp calcium cloride ( weight ) in tires made them very heavy & wheel weights! 5000 watt generator ,3 pt .hyd work .Everything works like new & added lighting thats really usable My brother GAVE me this , I got a really good brother

SWEET! wheel horse , and heck of a nice brother :cool:

Nice Wheel Horse. That 14 hp Kohler is a great engine. It looks kinda funny when its sideways though. ;)

Nice Wheel Horse. That 14 hp Kohler is a great engine. It looks kinda funny when its sideways though. ;)

Yeah, I never could get past them running the engine the wrong way.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.