Wood from tough places

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tansao

Dec 30, 2010
Worcester, MA
Hi folks,

I have in my back yard a big tree that's "down" but leaning 45 degrees in the rear of my land. There's also a lot of wood to harvest laying on the ground - large trees downed by the ice storm a few years ago. Question I have/advise looking for is that the trees are either down in, or across a steep depression maybe 75 feet lower than my yard level as my back yard dips off.

Is this just not worth the effort, or are there any time/back savers on how do you experienced wood harvesters would bring this back up? The terrain is too steep and wooded for my lawn tractor with a cart. I can take a picture if it helps.

I don't know the species, just that it's hard wood.

Sometimes its just not worth it. If you can cut it first and take it up in pieces thats usually the best solution. If you can't cut them because of the steep terrain, then its probably not worth it.

Pic's would be great.

At the back of my parents' property there is a steep dropoff that probably goes down about 50-60 feet to a swampy area. My dad came home one day to find a tree service at the next door neighbor's house to ask about the wood since he's always trying to look out for scrounging scores for me. When he got there he saw the workers rolling HUGE rounds of ash down the hill into the swamp. Since they obviously weren't taking the wood or leaving it for the homeowner he asked them to roll the rest into his yard which they did, but there are 14 or 15 rounds down in the swamp that are probably between two or three feet in diameter. I'm debating on whether or not to borrow a friend's quad to pull them out whole or using it to tow my splitter down there, splitting it all, and bringing the splits up in a trailer.

I don't think I can use a chain since my backyard is mostly septic chambers close to the surface, and the tree is probably 75 feet from the edge of the grass, 50-75 feet down.

Maybe I can use my dad's comealong and some strong cord. Will still be a royal pita.

Pretty much agree with gzecc.
I know where there is lots of wood within a mile of my place, but it's all hard to get like the stuff you're talking about , so I drive about 15 miles to a place where I can back the truck up to within a few feet of easier access wood. Of course if I didn't have that easy access to that other wood then I would be looking at getting the hard stuff, it just depends how bad you want (need) it.
Renting or borrowing a BIG winch might be the only practical way to get it out, if you have something to anchor it to where you want to bring it to. Got any big sturdy trees in your back yard?

More than enough big sturdy trees. Most are 20" in diameter, some larger.

What kills me is last summer, long before I thought in a million years I'd be burning wood for heat, I had 2 large shagbark hickory taken down and gave it away. There was probably 2-3 cords worth since one of the trees was a double.

/facepalm

try to find a heavy duty block and tackle..... anchor it to a tree on the edge of the cliff about 10 ft up....10 ft back from the edge..... buck up the tree in some small managable pieces, get some good solid 1"to 1 1/8 rope,... (make sure it fits into the block and tackle) .... and use a truck to drag the sections up the hill(if able to) ... this way it will keep the wood and the rope away from the septic.........just a thought..........hey it might be a pita.....but it can be a fun day with some friends!!

Tansao said:
I don't think I can use a chain since my backyard is mostly septic chambers close to the surface, and the tree is probably 75 feet from the edge of the grass, 50-75 feet down.

Maybe I can use my dad's comealong and some strong cord. Will still be a royal pita.

That brings in a new factor and rules out tractor or truck. So you'll probably have to buck it there and then winch it up or find someone with a big atv for both winching and you may even skid some up or even load a small trailer and pull with atv. Just stay off the drain field and septic.

I take it down the hollar until it crosses a path or road. Then haul with the truck or woods trailer. I don't have neighbors or fences to cross.

Status
Not open for further replies.