Wood Hauled Out Monday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
After all the rain had stopped I wanted to run back in with the Rhino and small trailer to see how wet the trails were, they were dry in most spots then in some other areas we had some water but not bad. Tonight the truck will go back in so I can haul the sugar maple out.

I took two loads out Monday from two different areas, attached are the pictures and even better I stacked both loads. Pictures 100_1311 and 100_1314 are from the same area, 100_1315 and 100_1316 are from another area I was cutting plus it was my last trip back for the day.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1311.jpg
    100_1311.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 530
  • 100_1314.jpg
    100_1314.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 545
  • 100_1315.jpg
    100_1315.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 547
  • 100_1316.jpg
    100_1316.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 547
  • 100_1317.jpg
    100_1317.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 549
  • 100_1318.jpg
    100_1318.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 552
Nice hauls zap! We really needed that rain. We were behind this summer.

Skier76 said:
Nice hauls zap! We really needed that rain. We were behind this summer.

Thanks Skier76, yes we did but all at once! Compared to some places down state that received 6 inches we were lucky only to get 3+.

zap

This was just a trickling stream Saturday afternoon. Sorry the pic doesn't compare in quality to yours Zap. It was an amazing amount of water in a short period of time.

Attachments

• pond after 082210 rain.jpg
    pond after 082210 rain.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 508
SolarAndWood said:
This was just a trickling stream Saturday afternoon. Sorry the pic doesn't compare in quality to yours Zap. It was an amazing amount of water in a short period of time.

It's fine, you guys got nailed worse than us. I did see on the news down near Boonville that streams that hardly had any water before the storm were flooding certain areas.

zap

...So I'm curious to how you think about stacking: bark up or bark down....
Hmmm....

Nice stacks! Super tools you're using.
Thanks for the pics.

maplewood said:
...So I'm curious to how you think about stacking: bark up or bark down....
Hmmm....

Nice stacks! Super tools you're using.
Thanks for the pics.

I never really thought about it, usually I stack the best way they fit. Some of the guys like Sav,Quads the guys that have been stacking longer can give you better advice.

zap

In the end, it makes little difference. However, by habit, I stack mostly with bark up. Still, like Zap, I'll not hesitate to stack the best way the piece fits.

It is strange and I usually do not think about it, but when my wife used to try to help and she'd make a mess of the stacks, she could not understand how I could stack the way I do and it appears I don't even think about how I stack. Well, that is true to a certain point. It's just that when I pick up a piece of wood I almost immediately know where and how to place it on the stack so it fits good. It is just something I just don't have to give much thought to; I just stack and somehow it usually comes out okay. Not always, but usually. But I'm the only one to get enjoyment from looking at my wood piles anyway.

Beetle-Kill said:
Really looks nice, Zap. Great job on the clean-up.

Beetle-Kill should we take up donations so we can fly QUADS out so he can split in record time? I saw QUADS in Boonville, picture attached.

Attachments

• 100_1253.jpg
    100_1253.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 428
Quads is bigger that that. Donations would be great, but my wife works for United, I can get a companion ticket. Quads, how 'bout it? :cheese:

Beetle-Kill said:
Quads is bigger that that. Donations would be great, but my wife works for United, I can get a companion ticket. Quads, how 'bout it? :cheese:
That guy has more hair on the top of his head than I do! Ha ha!

I stack with the bark side up, except for the bottom layer touching the ground goes bark side down. Don't know if it makes any difference though which side is up, but it just feels right to me.

Nice! Are those 2x4's on the bottom? Nice method for racking the wood. I think I'll copy that out back for some reserve wood I've got.

quercus_kelloggii said:
Nice! Are those 2x4's on the bottom? Nice method for racking the wood. I think I'll copy that out back for some reserve wood I've got.

Yes those are 2x4's, I also use landscape timbers. I have some small pine I cut down and limbed up that I'm going to use, that idea came from backwoodsavage.

zap

I tend to stack bark side up . . . but as others have mentioned I'm not sure if if it makes that much of a difference . . . especially since a lot of the wood has bark falling off it when I stack it in the woodshed after it has sat outside seasoning for a year or more.

I doubt it really matters but I have tried to stack bark side up on the top row of the stack. The rest goes in as it fits.

wsorg said:
Looks like a good day of work!

I'm getting there wsorg, once I get this stacked and pull down a dead tree it's off up top and bring down about 4 face cord. Then the splitting for the softwood starts.

zap

Awsome! Looks great!

FireAnt said:
Awsome! Looks great!

Thanks FireAnt, wanted to stack last night but it rained real good so I decided not to back the truck up over the lawn. We will get some rain today then it is supposed to clear and be in the 80's then cooling at night.

zap

Hang on Zap. We're sending some cool air your way. 40's last night felt great! However, another hot spell headed our way by the weekend.

Zap, that clearly was not Quads, as itweren't wearin' bibs.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hang on Zap. We're sending some cool air your way. 40's last night felt great! However, another hot spell headed our way by the weekend.

Sav thanks for the cool air, it's been dropping down in the 40's at night. Forecast for 10 straight days of sun without any rain.

zap

Danno77 said:
Zap, that clearly was not Quads, as itweren't wearin' bibs.

Danno77 I also think Quads could take the Bear one on one. :zip:

zap

Nice haul I really like your trailer I bet you use the heck out of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.