Wood Heating in garage question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I found it pretty easily you just don't like the definition because it is to vague. There is absolutely nothing that references the label on the plans as a way to define any space

Yes, but the concept of "designed as" or even "for" must be declared at the time of plan submittal. I'm looking for a way to interpret this code and still can't find one.

I agree, it's too vague. That is why neither of us is right and it really depends on your AHJ.

Yes, but the concept of "designed as" or even "for" must be declared at the time of plan submittal. I'm looking for a way to interpret this code and still can't find one.

I agree, it's too vague. That is why neither of us is right and it really depends on your AHJ.
Ok how am I not right? You made the claim that garage was not defined by code. I said it was cited the codes defining it.

Yes it is rather vague and yes it is open to interpretation from the ahj but that does not mean it is not defined.

And no the designated use is not a requirement for a permit in many places. And what about structures built before permit requirements? Do they not have an intended purpose? It really is not hard to understand. If a structure has a door large enough for a motorized vehicle to pull into and it has a floor to support a motorized vehicle it qualifies as a garage.

Ok how am I not right? You made the claim that garage was not defined by code. I said it was cited the codes defining it.

Yes it is rather vague and yes it is open to interpretation from the ahj but that does not mean it is not defined.

I said that neither of us is right. You went through several ideas of what you thought code thought a garage was, even said to use a dictionary, and still never posted an excerpt. Even your last and best guess was not conclusive. So, you can't be right and neither can I. It comes down to AHJ interpretation.

Let's not forget the context here. A detached pole barn that has overhead doors being used for tractors and tools.

And no the designated use is not a requirement for a permit in many places. And what about structures built before permit requirements? Do they not have an intended purpose? It really is not hard to understand. If a structure has a door large enough for a motorized vehicle to pull into and it has a floor to support a motorized vehicle it qualifies as a garage.

You're wrong. That's not what code says. Quit spouting incorrect information.

Common sense, my house qualifies under that definition. I don't live in a garage.

Please allow me to summarize now that we're off in the weeds.

Call your AHJ. In my opinion the code does not specify whether a solid fuel burner is allowed or prohibited in a detached building. Your AHJ and insurance company will make a final decision. The only opinion that matters.

I said that neither of us is right. You went through several ideas of what you thought code thought a garage was, even said to use a dictionary, and still never posted an excerpt. Even your last and best guess was not conclusive. So, you can't be right and neither can I. It comes down to AHJ interpretation.

Let's not forget the context here. A detached pole barn that has overhead doors being used for tractors and tools.

You're wrong. That's not what code says. Quit spouting incorrect information.

Common sense, my house qualifies under that definition. I don't live in a garage.

Please allow me to summarize now that we're off in the weeds.

Call your AHJ. In my opinion the code does not specify whether a solid fuel burner is allowed or prohibited in a detached building. Your AHJ and insurance company will make a final decision. The only opinion that matters.

LOL Glad we got that figured out... 28 posts after I suggested the same ;lol

OK, are you two married in real life? Time to come clean! ;lol

This is so much better than ESPN. I was waiting on fists to fly and/or a time set for a duel there for a minute. High suspense. Thanks for the laugh.

Reactions: bholler
UAmember...
Sorry, was called away for a few days. I'm just about as "northwest" as you can get, between East Dubuque and Galena and up by the WI state line...