Wood I'd help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Chris

Hearth Supporter
Aug 6, 2010
West Chester PA.
good afternoon gentlemen , I have a load of rounds that were dropped off by a friend that owns a tree service . I'm pretty good at tree identity , but not sure about this one. I think it may b poplar. Would someone be kind enough to email me to post the pics ? I'm very handicapped with posting pis. Thank you. Chris [email protected]

If you know where the pic file is and can open the folder, about the easiest way is to drag and drop it into the reply box, then click "thumbnail" to add it to the post.

Wood I'd help please

Hey - you figured it out!

Agreed - not poplar. Bark looks like ash. Get a look at the leaves or did you just get the rounds?

White oak? You probably don't need all that, I'll swing by with my trailer and grab some rounds so you're not burdened with all that splitting :)

"Wood I'd help please"

So - just how DID you help the wood?;)

That looks like something from the soft maple world to me.

Reactions: D8Chumley
That round in the pic looks like it had had time to dry for a while or was dead standing, makes id difficult.

Its ring porous like Ash.
So its not anything in the poplar group or basswood or cottonwood.
Sometimes Ive gotten mystery wood with cord purchases. Its frustrating if its really nice firewood.

I'm wondering because of the tint of the grain if it is Sassafras? Does it have any aroma to it, almost like a pine cleaner type scent, or is it too dry? Sassy would split very easily and be very lightweight; split a piece off and take a whiff and let us know if it has some aroma please.

Bark looks like ash.
Yep, the graininess of the split face sez Ash to me, but the bark isn't saying White Ash. Looking in the Audubon Guide, Black Ash says "gray, corky, fissured into soft, scaly plates that rub off easily." Green Ash, "reddish inner layer" to the bark. I'm thinking Black Ash is what he's got. I've never seen the other Ashes though, so I could very well be wrong. If Black Ash, medium-output wood like the soft Maples...

Last edited:
I'm wondering because of the tint of the grain if it is Sassafras? Does it have any aroma to it, almost like a pine cleaner type scent, or is it too dry? Sassy would split very easily and be very lightweight; split a piece off and take a whiff and let us know if it has some aroma please.

It's too dry, no smell. It's been there since last fall

I thought it was maple too, but when I split some it's brownish inside. I'll try some this fall and if it's good I'll split the rest in the spring. I luckily have a lot of wood this yr

I thought it was maple too, but when I split some it's brownish inside. I'll try some this fall and if it's good I'll split the rest in the spring. I luckily have a lot of wood this yr

Look on the flat cutside of one of the rounds, and look for a small "pinhole" right about in the center of the flat side. If one is there, it's probably Ash as someone else said. I was looking at it again here at home and can see Ash in it as well as Maple so who the hell knows now lol! But if the cutside has a pinhole it's most likely Ash of some sort.

Soft maple can have some surprisingly dark sections inside.

Reactions: Fred Wright
"Wood I'd help please"

So - just how DID you help the wood?;)
He never got the chance; Before he could help the wood, it split. ==c

Reactions: D8Chumley and Jags
It's ash, I have taken 30 down on my property, I am 90% sure it's ash

The tint looks like Sass to me but I saw the comment about no smell. I think Sass would retain the smell until petrified. Is there an orange layer under the bark?

Status
Not open for further replies.