Wood ID help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajazz

Jun 10, 2015
Minnesota
So now that we are finally getting around to splitting wood, I'd appreciate some help identifying what it is that we are splitting. The first 2 pics are the same piece, just different sides. Same with the 2nd set of pics. The 1st set of pics shows some wood that is just a pain to split. photo 5.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

the first 2 pic look to be cottonwood not for sure and the last 2 pic is 100% ash

Reactions: ajazz
I would (wood?) have to agree with tiger oak. Look carefully at the inner bark on the first piece. It has that wet papery layer like cottonwood. Red elm also has this (if I remember correctly).

The second one looks to be ash.

Reactions: ajazz
Status
Not open for further replies.