Wood ID Help - Sweet Cherry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Longstreet

Feeling the Heat
Mar 14, 2014
Atlanta
I have been taking advantage of the development of around 20 acres three houses down from mine. They are stacking all the best wood, but have told me it's ok to take any of the stuff in the brush piles. Mostly tops and such, but some really nice wood given it's so close. Lots of black cherry and red oak, with a little beech mixed in.

I was driving by an area I had not scouted before and spotted a small sized tree pushed to the side. Perfect size for a quick pickup after work. I thought it was black cherry before I got out of my truck. When I walked up to it, I saw there were none of the flakes on the mature wood that scream black cherry. I'm now thinking it's Prunus avium??? Can anyone confirm that? I don't have any experience with sweet cherry, so any advice on of this stuff is burnable would be great.

Edit: I should have mentioned that the wood is very light. Splits easy and straight as well.
20140506_202606.jpg20140506_225309.jpg20140506_225344.jpg

Looks like it may be. If so, very good hardwood. Plan on seasoning for a couple years.

Thanks, that's interesting to hear. I left some behind after feeling how light it was, figuring it wasn't worth my effort. I may go back tomorrow and pick the rest up.

I always thought we were border-line for cherry, but I believe that may only have had to do with the tree setting fruit correctly. I've never heard of anyone growing one this far south.

Leaves and bark are wrong for black cherry.

Prunus avium wood looks very similar to black cherry, but the wood in those rounds doesn't look like either.

It possibly could be an ornamental cherry from some landscaping. Many are grafted, so the leaves won't necessarily match the rest of the tree below the graft, which usually is a sweet cherry.

Last edited:
Looks like black birch to me

I thought it was Pin Cherry too till I saw the leaves. The leaves are too wide for any of the wild cherries.
Also Pin cherry sets fruit, the limb would have signs of fruit development.
Fruitless cherries...or blossom cherries are more likely.
Who knows.

looks like the tree in my back yard. it produces a very small pea size cherry that is basically all stone up here we call it choke cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.