Wood ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NRGarrott

Sep 22, 2013
Annapolis, MD
I got a load of firewood today off craigslist. I was hoping someone could help me with the identification. Homeowner said he thought it was cherry and locust, but he wasn't sure.
Wood ID help Wood ID help

Attachments

• Wood ID help
    20140706_144628.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Wood ID help
    20140706_144643.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 134
Yep.

Cherry and Locust for sure! Good combination!

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I had a terrible experience last week on craigslist. This homeowner more than made up for it. He was helpful, friendly, and when i mentioned my aversion to poison ivy, he went and got a tractor, and pulled the wood from the brush, into a clearing so i could buck it in the open. Then my saw died, and he brought out his 20 year old, homeowner grade poulan, and made my Husky 359 look bad.Wood ID help

Its always nice to see there are good people out there.

I got another craigslist find. Can you guys ID this? I know the wood is pretty weathered, I can cut a fresh slice tomorrow morning.
Wood ID help Wood ID help Wood ID help

Ash? If there's a BB size hole in the middle of the fresh cut it's definitely ash

I see ash too, but a split piece would confirm it

Here are the fresh slice pictures. The wood has been down for over a year. And some pieces are extremely light. I'm not sure if it shows up but some pieces have a slight green tinge.

Attachments

• Wood ID help
    20140707_092133.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Wood ID help
    20140707_092150.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 116
Here are the fresh slice pictures. The wood has been down for over a year. And some pieces are extremely light. I'm not sure if it shows up but some pieces have a slight green tinge.
Looks like Tulip...

Woody I am almost positive it is poplar. Which I don't really want. The tree is down a steep hill, and a lot of work to remove it. Just not worth it, since I have 5 cords already of mixed hardwoods, and I only burn 2 a year.

Tulip(Yellow Poplar) for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.