Wood ID Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

num1hitter

Feb 9, 2012
Reading, PA
I Have easy access to at least a cord of this but want to find out if it is worth the time. I don't have a guess as to the type. Any help would be appreciated with identification.

Attachments

• 20141130_124621.jpg
    20141130_124621.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 20141130_123928.jpeg
    20141130_123928.jpeg
    274.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 20141130_123933.jpeg
    20141130_123933.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 168
Awesome. .. thanks a lot for the quick response.

I agree also on the mulberry. There is an abundance of that around here. It seems to grow everywhere. I also agree that it needs a lot of time to fully season. It doesn't burn well wet, but when fully seasoned burns very well.

Nice. I love Mulberry. Love the look of fresh splits, the way they darken to purple/brown over time, the way it smells, the way it snaps & sparks while it burns and most of all the way it burns long like oak, but seasons in half the time.

Could also be Osage Orange. The bark looks a lot more like Mulberry, but I've seen some young Osage Orange trees that looked exactly like that. Leaf pic would be a definite. The wood is practically the same between the two of them... It is definitely one of those 2 though...

Not Osage. That is definitely mulberry. Burns really nice.

If you load mulberry only in your stove, when you fully damper down, you can get pure blue secondary flames - really cool to watch.

Not Osage. That is definitely mulberry. Burns really nice.

If you load mulberry only in your stove, when you fully damper down, you can get pure blue secondary flames - really cool to watch.
What are you seeing that indicates it is NOT Osage and is definitely Mulberry?

I've cut a LOT of both. I currently have over 3 full cords of Osage sitting in my stacks. The wood/bark isn't always easily distinguished between one another. Young Osage trees especially can look exactly like a Mulberry. The 2 trees are cousins, and sometime the only way to tell is leaf/fruit.

Just my experience. If you're keying in on some subtle differences then we'll have to agree to disagree. I will uphold that it's too difficult to tell the difference for certain between the 2 based on wood/bark alone based upon my experiences identifying trees in the field.

If you're seeing something I'm not seeing can you enlighten me? I'm always willing to learn new things...

Mulberry. I don't think Osage Orange is very common here in SEPA.

What are you seeing that indicates it is NOT Osage and is definitely Mulberry?

Two primary indicators that this is not osage and definitely is mulberry.

1. Color is wrong for osage. Osage is much lighter yellow when freshly cut, and much darker almost orange -red when weathered.

2. Straight grain, Mulberry is commonly straight grained and can be split easily by hand. Osage is some of the twistiest most difficult to split wood on the planet.

I've cut a lot of both also. I've cut osage to make selfbows and mulberry for firewood. That is Mulberry. Yes I know they are cousins.

Status
Not open for further replies.