Wood ID - I have no idea what this is...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
It was a small tree but there are lots of them to be cut...

ID3.JPG ID3A.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The bark says Hickory to me...

That would be great if it was hickory! I didn't know hickory leaves looked like that.

+1 for hickory

I am 99,9% sure it is young Hickory...the following pics are all from mature Hickory trees....this is just a small sampling of Hickory leaves..IMG_3326.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 hickory, but i couldn't tell you which kind

Hickory leaves look kind of like Black Cherry leaves. The bark is very different.

Pignut Hickory+1

Dang that bark is identical to mine. Thanks to this thread confirming it was Hickory, I knew enough to jump on it today when the power company dropped a huge one on the side of the road.

I got one big load today and hopefully the rest will still be there for a couple days. The main trunk is humungous.