Wood Id. Oak or Maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bsa0021 said:
Wood Duck said:
Sugar maple is the species known as 'hard maple,' while Red and Silver Maples are called 'soft maple.' I don't know what the wood of Black Maple is like. There are a few around here, but I haven't cut one. There is also the small Striped Maple or Moosewood that is native, but never large. Norway Maple seems like Red Maple to me, based on cutting more than on burning (I haven't burned a lot of it). Box Elder, also called Ashleaf Maple, is also a maple and soft wood.

With that information, the next question is how do I identify sugar maple from other soft maple? Or, is sugar very difficult to distinguish from soft maple?
Not sure if this is any help but worth a shot. http://www.ehow.com/how_5954923_tell-maple-soft-maple-trees.html

Red Maple seasons fast like cherry, it also burns fast.....when it's fully seasoned my 5 year old son can toss splits into the back of the truck.
What you have there is Red Maple, just by looking at that stained heartwood....a tell-tale sign of that species.
RedMaple has several different bark patterns and can fool ya.
I can tell you that it's not Sugar Maple, Sugar Maple has a distinctive bark pattern compared to Silver/Red Maple.
I'm not knocking Red Maple (I have a ton of it for next year)
Compare some samples with my pictures.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• maples_01.jpg
    maples_01.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 132
  • REDMAPLE.jpg
    REDMAPLE.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 137
WOODBUTCHER said:
Red Maple seasons fast like cherry, it also burns fast.....when it's fully seasoned my 5 year old son can toss splits into the back of the truck.
What you have there is Red Maple, just by looking at that stained heartwood....a tell-tale sign of that species.
RedMaple has several different bark patterns and can fool ya.
I can tell you that it's not Sugar Maple, Sugar Maple has a distinctive bark pattern compared to Silver/Red Maple.
I'm not knocking Red Maple (I have a ton of it for next year)
Compare some samples with my pictures.

WoodButcher
Pics are excellent! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.