1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood ID please

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by fabsroman, Jan 12, 2013.

1. fabsroman

fabsroman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    Long story short, was told this was red oak. The homeowner got part of it right, in that there was a single piece of red oak off to the side that I split with wedges and a Fiskars. However, the Fiskars bounced off of this stuff as did the wedges. I tried starting the wedges with a 4 lb hammer and even that was tough. Even when I got them started, one shot with the sledge hammer and they were flying out of there.

I had a 2 hour window to get wood this morning because my wife needs to attend a baby shower, and I figured since this was an entire red oak that had been felled I would just load up the small pieces, split what I could, and load up the truck in those two hours. So, I left the splitter at home. Man, I am not in a good mood now.

I have a guess as to what this wood is, but I don't want to influence anybody's opinion.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jackatc1

jackatc1 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Port Crane ny
    Wild guess sweetgum.

But a picture would be nice.
  3. fabsroman

Loc:
    I feel like a moron. Thought I had attached a couple pics, but it appears not.

Here goes:

Attached Files:

4. fabsroman

Loc:
    Don't think it is sweetgum. Split a couple of them last year and they weren't this tough to crack open. Very stringy, but at least I could get a wedge or axe in them. This stuff is hard as a rock. Plus, the bark on the sweetgum was a lot thicker than this stuff.
  5. jackatc1

jackatc1 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Port Crane ny
    Some sort of Maple.
    Look's like it was standing dead, could be the reason its hard to split.
  6. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Norway maple....though I find it easy to split
  7. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I agree with maple, when maple get moist it can be a pain to split, also when you put it on the splitter it will pop when it splits so be careful for flying wood.
  8. fabsroman

Loc:
    Is this wood even worth picking up then? I have about 7 cords of white/red oak and 1.5 cords of locust sitting here. Only have room for another 1.5 cords. Should I fill the racks with this stuff?
  9. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Norway Maple is good stuff.Very close in density & heat value to Hard (sugar) Maple.I'd grab it if I were you.Its normally easy to split,dries in a year,sometimes 9 months if stacked in sunny windy spot.
  10. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Split a bunch of it this summer. I believe Scotty said he burns a lot it and its good stuff
  11. fabsroman

Loc:
    Alrighty then, going to get a truckload of the stuff tomorrow then. Thanks for all the help guys.