fabsroman Posted By fabsroman, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:12 PM

1. fabsroman

fabsroman
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 1, 2011
    Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    Long story short, was told this was red oak. The homeowner got part of it right, in that there was a single piece of red oak off to the side that I split with wedges and a Fiskars. However, the Fiskars bounced off of this stuff as did the wedges. I tried starting the wedges with a 4 lb hammer and even that was tough. Even when I got them started, one shot with the sledge hammer and they were flying out of there.

I had a 2 hour window to get wood this morning because my wife needs to attend a baby shower, and I figured since this was an entire red oak that had been felled I would just load up the small pieces, split what I could, and load up the truck in those two hours. So, I left the splitter at home. Man, I am not in a good mood now.

I have a guess as to what this wood is, but I don't want to influence anybody's opinion.

2. jackatc1

jackatc1
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Aug 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Port Crane ny
    Wild guess sweetgum.

But a picture would be nice.

3. fabsroman

fabsroman
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 1, 2011
    Loc:
    I feel like a moron. Thought I had attached a couple pics, but it appears not.

Here goes:

Attached Files:

4. fabsroman

fabsroman
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 1, 2011
    Loc:
    Don't think it is sweetgum. Split a couple of them last year and they weren't this tough to crack open. Very stringy, but at least I could get a wedge or axe in them. This stuff is hard as a rock. Plus, the bark on the sweetgum was a lot thicker than this stuff.

5. jackatc1

jackatc1
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Aug 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Port Crane ny
    Some sort of Maple.
    Look's like it was standing dead, could be the reason its hard to split.

6. jdp1152

jdp1152
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 4, 2012
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Norway maple....though I find it easy to split

7. weatherguy

weatherguy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2009
    Loc:
    Central Mass
    I agree with maple, when maple get moist it can be a pain to split, also when you put it on the splitter it will pop when it splits so be careful for flying wood.

8. fabsroman

fabsroman
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 1, 2011
    Loc:
    Is this wood even worth picking up then? I have about 7 cords of white/red oak and 1.5 cords of locust sitting here. Only have room for another 1.5 cords. Should I fill the racks with this stuff?

9. Thistle

Thistle
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 16, 2010
    Loc:
    Central IA
    Norway Maple is good stuff.Very close in density & heat value to Hard (sugar) Maple.I'd grab it if I were you.Its normally easy to split,dries in a year,sometimes 9 months if stacked in sunny windy spot.

10. jdp1152

jdp1152
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 4, 2012
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Split a bunch of it this summer. I believe Scotty said he burns a lot it and its good stuff

11. fabsroman

fabsroman
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 1, 2011
    Loc:
    Alrighty then, going to get a truckload of the stuff tomorrow then. Thanks for all the help guys.