Wood ID please?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
pysaqera.jpg

Trying to do this from my phone my power is back on but now the internet and cable are out. This is one that fell across the road on the power line

My buddy thought maybe horse chestnut. I didn't look at it until I went to cut some today I assumed it was ash the other day. Obviously it's not ash. Seems to have tight grain. Thanks!

The pieces in the foreground look like hickory to me. That piece in the back with the dark heartwood looks more like walnut though.
So - I don't know ;em

I know the background stuff is black walnut sorry for the confusing pic. It's the one in the middle standing on end then the next pic is from the top showing the grain. I also scored a load of ash driving my son to take his permit test. Tree guys are cutting downed trees up and just leaving it along the roads

Last edited:
Maybe the big round is Hackberry. A big one. Id only wager a couple dollars on it though.
hackberry...serviceberry, its hard to guess by bark covered in lichens. Theres no distinctive IDing characteristics.

Reactions: D8Chumley
image.jpg

Roadside score

Last edited:
Does hackberry burn good? I haven't seen any other like this in the woods where I live. Mostly cherry ash black walnut and some dogwood. This one grew between the creek and road and wasn't an option to cut until it fell on the lines

The smaller round is the giveaway, notice the warty bark? Das hackberry man. Good wood but get it split and off the ground quick cause it'll rot kinda quick on the ground. Da one on da left is ash. And da one in da back is Valentine wood. You can tell by de heart in da middle!;lol

I think its in the med range for btus. Like birchs and cherry and maples.
Some people on here cut it regularly maybe they will chime in.
Its hard to know if what you are looking at is forest trees or yard trees on the scrounged woods. With exotics and nursery trees.

It's scrounged forest wood. Yes I'll split it soon, within the next week or so hopefully. Thanks for the ID guys like I said I haven't seen this in my woods before today. It's free = it's me. Just wondering if it was crap I wouldn't waste my time on that and go after other down trees instead.

My BTU chart rates it at 21,2 million BTU's per cord, well worth getting. My CAT insert can get 10 hours on a load. I like it fine and have about 1.5 to 2 cord for next season.

Thanks Ralphie I'll be getting some cutting in later on. Verizon is coming to check out why the cable/internet are out. I know why- guy down the street has been driving over the line where it still lays across his driveway

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
Hackberry

It's not willow, elm, or box elder so it's good stuff. :)

na6yne7y.jpg

Not bad for 1.5 days work all by myself plus the ones that fell in the yard I didn't add to this pile. I cut them and left them lay I'll drag the splitter to them and load them in the cart as I split. Probably 2+ more cord and I'm almost to the holy grail of 3 yrs ahead

Reactions: Lakeside
Thank the Lord my internet and cable came back on overnight. They had to call a crew in with a fiberoptics splicing tech and replace some line. Not so much for me but now the wife and kids are much happier.

The large one in the center and the one to it's right is definitely Hackberry. I am pretty confident the pieces laying to the left are a species of Ash, perhaps Green Ash. Based on the bark pattern, the color of the wood, and the shape of the cross section cut in the background.

I burn a lot of both of those species and like them. They season pretty quickly too!

Status
Not open for further replies.