Wood ID please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Avery24

Jul 18, 2019
CT
Hey guys, got a chance to grab some more wood for future burning. And it’s only a few mins away and it looks like a decent amount. Just not sure what it is, to me it looks like some maple but I’m no expert!
B16128F7-A353-4E15-95B9-C02D18310A23.jpeg
5EF52B4A-DD60-45EA-9322-9D0D11EDBA9A.jpeg
5EF52B4A-DD60-45EA-9322-9D0D11EDBA9A.jpeg

Based on the leaves, it looks like some is maple and some is some kind of cherry

I think the darker tree is Black Walnut and the other is Hickory

+1 for hickory (top picture/lighter colored grain)

Not sure on the darker wood. Bark does not* look like the black cherry I am familiar with and I don’t have any walnut on my property

+1 for poison ivy vine on the darker wood

Last edited:
Not sure where the OP is located but Black Cherry bark around here looks nothing like what's pictured, B.C. bark has more of a thick, dark flaky Corn Flakes look to it - tree seems way too big to be an ornamental variety.

TedyOH-IO! Agreed on the dark flaky bark. The darker wood is not black cherry. The typo in my above post has been corrected

I agree with darker wood being walnut....and around here poison Ivy is always growing up walnut trees. Hope your not allergic to it.....it made me sick as a dog once from breathing smoke from it on a brush pile. Should be no worries in stove though.