1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood ID please

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Shipper50, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bsruther

bsruther Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky
    Dutch Elm is a disease that wiped out nearly all of the American Elm trees in North America. It's caused by the Elm Bark Beetle.
    There is no such thing as a Dutch Elm tree.
    The only Elm we have around here is Slippery Elm although some people refer to it as Piss Elm. I don't see very many Slippery Elms, but I do see a lot of Hackberry trees which look a lot like Flms and are actually related. Hackberry is good firewood, but you know what? It has those stringy things on it and is difficult to split, just like Elm.
    I'm not always right about identifying someone elses wood, but I definitely know what wood I have.
    And yes, it is Tulip Tree. Some people call it Poplar, but it's actually in the Magnolia family.
    You obviously know your trees. Wanna try again?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Shipper50

Shipper50 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Be careful what you wish for, since I have moved down here from the Gary area I have found the people down here don't know how to drive on snow. And since there are many more hills that makes it that much worse. :ahhh:

Shipper
  3. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Yes, I do know my trees and what you have in your photo is mostly ELM. You also have some Black Locust nearer to the bottom. There might be a piece of Tulip(Poplar)hidden in there some where.Sorry Shipper to get off topic, I'm done now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.