Wood Id Please!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

learnin to burn

Feeling the Heat
Nov 22, 2008
Southeastern, Pa
9 months ago I was told this was Chestnut Oak here. A month later our resident expert "Lee" said it wasn't Chestnut Oak but didn't say what it was. I know for sure Lee was right. This stuff seasoned in 8 months, is real light weight, and couldn't keep a mouse warm on a 30 degree day :-S. It smells kinda like urine with a sweetness to it.

Attachments

• oak chestnut.jpg
    oak chestnut.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 398
  • oak chestnut bark.jpg
    oak chestnut bark.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 393
  • oak chestnut center.jpg
    oak chestnut center.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 395
  • oak chestnut split 3.jpg
    oak chestnut split 3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 398
  • oak chestnut split.jpg
    oak chestnut split.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 397
Looks alot like what I just cut and posted for an ID and was told Locust. Mine split really easily - I won't burn it til next year. I hope mine does better for me.

I think I would have guessed Chestnut Oak based on the thick furrowed bark, but the light weight and wide growth rings suggest instead that you have an aspen, probably Bigtooth Aspen, or maybe Cottonwood. i don't see many cottonwoods, and they aren't common in PA, so I am not familiar with rounds, but there is a lot of aspen in some areas of PA. The thick bark could also suggest Sassafras, but the smell seems a lot more typical of aspen or cottonwood. Fresh aspen kind of stinks, in my opinion

"It smells kinda like urine with a sweetness to it" Huh? looks like pine to me

basswidow said:
Looks alot like what I just cut and posted for an ID and was told Locust. Mine split really easily - I won't burn it til next year. I hope mine does better for me.

100% not locust....i've had some of that, very light...smells kinda minty....bark crackles when ignited.

Bernie - This stuff came out of Chester County. I'm in Delco. And No You can't have it - it'll take the chill off on days like today ;-)

Smokinjay - Just what I said, has a hint of sweetness to it but stinks.

Wood duck - There wasn't any soft wood trees within a mile of this tree which came from a friends back yard. I think 1 person alluded to possible Sass in my previous quest on the ID.

sounds like sassafras, very light wood, seasons fasts, pops with you burn it. Bark looks similiar to Locust.

The last pic looks sorta like pine but the rest sure don't.

The first pic looks like how my saw cuts after I've carved a rock.

mikepinto65 said:
100% not locust....

You sure it's not "locust lite"? :lol:

For openers, it doesn't look like locust at all. Not the bark (except for the thickness and "corkiness"), not the grain, not the color. And locust has a fairly thin sapwood and lots of heartwood. That tree is just opposite. Secondly, it's light in weight. Locust≠light.

I've never seen that wood at all, so I'm going to go with the sassafras crowd since they seem to recognize it. ;-)

Sassafras has a pleasant smell to it, our elders used it to make rootbeer (especially saplings) The same way Sweet Birch (Black Birch) was used to make Birch Beer.
If it stinks, it's probably in the Poplar family.

WoodButcher

I would have to say cotton wood, aspen no it as bark somewhat like birch smooth and white in color with black spots were its been injured or a branch as started.

Status
Not open for further replies.