Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heem

Dec 13, 2008
Connecticut
Just got a load of this today. Most of it seems to be from the same tree:
index.php
index.php

Also, Had a couple like this in my stacks.. what gives with the bright orange?

index.php

Attachments

• wooodid_2.jpg
    wooodid_2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 248
  • woodid_3.jpg
    woodid_3.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 237
  • woodid_4.jpg
    woodid_4.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 240
How dense is it? Any chance it's cottonwood?

JV_Thimble said:
How dense is it? Any chance it's cottonwood?

The first 2 split easy, but are quite heavy. The last orange one is quite dense. I've never seen a cottonwood tree, I dunno.

Holy crap is that 3rd one mulberry burl?? Looks like the beginnings of a large popcorn or salad bowl to me.... :coolcheese:

Thistle said:
Holy crap is that 3rd one mulberry burl?? Looks like the beginnings of a large popcorn or salad bowl to me.... :coolcheese:

And the picture does the shade of orange NO justice. In real life its VERY bright orange. Like it was colored with crayons. I'm not 100% sure that it's the wood or it got contaminated by something else? Nothing like I've ever seen before.

First two look like oak, dunno what kind, I'm still tryin to get better at IDs myself. 3 might be hedge, bark?

I agree the first two are oak, and I think Chestnut Oak (Rock Oak) is a good guess. If the third is orange, I'll guess Mulberry or Hedge.

Wood Duck said:
I agree the first two are oak, and I think Chestnut Oak (Rock Oak) is a good guess. If the third is orange, I'll guess Mulberry or Hedge.
I agree. The first two look just like the big mature red oak I just cut. I have some very old hedge that looks just like the last picture, but of course it could be mulberry....hard to tell in the pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.