Wood ID Please??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
Causalty of Irene left on the side of the road by Town DPW.

Attachments

• rt118wood1.jpg
    rt118wood1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 325
  • rt118wood2.jpg
    rt118wood2.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 349
Black Locust. 100% sure. Great firewood.

+ 1 BL down all over here too.

You guys really seem to have a lot of that stuff out there. Wish we had some so I could give it a good tryout.

Yes it is BL and from what I've heard it's great firewood! Really puts out the heat!

Black locust , great stuff, enjoy!

Sweet score.

Less than two hours since you posted and already I am about the 7th guy repeating the obvious answer. It would help if you could post grainier pictures, preferably with leaves from a different tree thrown in. That way we'd have more time to be the first to figure out the correct answer. A lot of Black Locust around here are hollowin the center, and it looks like yours is slightly hollow too.

Another black locust score, its been a banner year for BL, nice score.

Mmmm, black locust. I have some seasoning for next year. It's funny how it has that almost orange look on the top/bottom of the rounds, but it was almost like someone colored the insides with a green high lighter/marker when I split it. It also smelled like someone had opened a fresh can of Copenhagen snuff.

Wood Duck said:
A lot of Black Locust around here are hollowin the center, and it looks like yours is slightly hollow too.
I recently picked up some stuff that had been down for a while. It seems like they rot from the center out. I had some 8" rounds with 6" holes in the center. :lol: Heartwood gone, sapwood remaining? I don't know...

Backwoods Savage said:
Wish we had some so I could give it a good tryout.

Dennis, I have a little bit, it's not ready yet but if I get up your way anytime soon I'll try to bring enough to fill your stove a time or two. My brother has a bunch of young ones on his lake property that's he's clearing out so I'll have more in the future. We have some good sized ones growing in this area but I'm never able to score any of them.

Woody Stover said:
Wood Duck said:
A lot of Black Locust around here are hollowin the center, and it looks like yours is slightly hollow too.
I recently picked up some stuff that had been down for a while. It seems like they rot from the center out. I had some 8" rounds with 6" holes in the center. :lol: Heartwood gone, sapwood remaining? I don't know...

You got it. Locust is an odd duck. I've split alot that is almost like a long bone. The center can be soft and will come out like marrow from a bone yet the sap wood is perfect. The bark is spongy too, I'm happy when I can get it off.

Good stuff there! Seems like all we have been hearing about around here lately is Black Locust. Of the 6 cords I scrounged this year 5 are BL. The other is Red Oak.

Late again . . . but yeah . . . black locust . . . some day I want to get some of this to try in the stove.

firefighterjake said:
Late again . . . but yeah . . . black locust . . . some day I want to get some of this to try in the stove.

Me too, I bet if I could get access to the tornado damaged are I could find some, I think you need a permit and have to wear all the safety equipment to gain access. Id love to try osage orange too but I think chances of that are pretty slim for us up here in the NE.

Status
Not open for further replies.