Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyde S. Dale

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2010
SE PA
Hello all wood ID experts. I am unsure of some wood I scrounged this past weekend. There were 2 types. Both were easy to split and had characteristics that I recognized, but still learning and hoping for some help. I could not find leaves for either, but hopefully there is enough here in the pic. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 11-30-12.jpg
    11-30-12.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 253
  • 11-30-13.jpg
    11-30-13.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 240
the one on the right looks like walnut.

I'm no expert but the left pic looks like aspen right pic looks like pignut

Right looks like walnut or butternut
Left hard to tell, smaller diameter trees are difficult to ID sometimes, maple maybe.

The one on the left looks like Red Maple, but the bark seems odd. Maybe it is simply an odd looking bit of a Red Maple. Could be Silver Maple as well.

The one on the right is Black Walnut.

Left is def Maple, Red Maple, and right could also be Butternut... similar to black but I cut some butternut this summer and that looks exactly like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.