Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Delaware
Thought at first driving by was hedge due to all the hedge trees. But bark is different and saw dust is not yellow Wood IDWood ID

looks like walnut to me. maybe sassafras, but sass doesnt have that greenish appearance in the heartwood. both are ok burners but lower on the BTU scale. walnut>sass. ive been burning lots of sass and i love it when im home and its cold. it burns fast, hot and doesnt coal much.

Sassafras 100%. I recognize the orange underside of the bark.

Bunch of it laying on side of road

Bunch of it laying on side of road

Grab some! I like it for the quick drying, easy splitting and low ash. You can burn it primarily in the shoulder season or mix it with better woods when it's really cold.

Yup.....Sass.

Well grabbed up about ten smaller rounds. About 4 splits each. Split and stacked. Easy and clean. Can't beat

Reactions: Clyde S. Dale
Split it up and it dries fast. Warning: if too dry it will float in the air.

Reactions: Sully
Might spark a bit while burning too. But that is just the termite turds exploding.

Status
Not open for further replies.