wood ID:

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickb

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2012
St.Louis
Grabbed this from the neighbor. Tree was about to fall down. No idea what it is. I know it splits very very easy.

I'd guess some kind of maple. The bark is torn up and the wood it a little washed out to really see well.

Will try to get a better pic this evening once the sun starts to go down. It doesnt look like the silver or sugar maples I have. They all have thinner bark. The way this smells I am almost thinking oak of some kind.

Pinhole in the middle of the cutside and easy spltting tells me it's Ash....

Pinhole in the middle of the cutside and easy spltting tells me it's Ash....

I thought ash was pretty low moisture. This stuff is reading 40% on my Moisture meter on a fresh split.

Ash for sure. As for your Moisture content it Spring(for the most part!) where you are Trees take up a lot of water in spring!

Well Thats great! I don't have the room to store oak so ash will be ready next winter. Will get the last 6 foot of the tree tomorrow.

Certainly looks like White Ash from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.