Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaScroungr

Burning Hunk
Feb 21, 2015
Huntsville Alabama
Found and picked up a trunk load of this stuff off the curb today. Appears to be seasoned already. The wood is a strange peachy pink color. Can anyone help identify this stuff?

9-6-15 018.jpg 9-6-15 020.jpg

It looks like some kind of fruit wood to me. It reminds me of apricot or some kind of plum, based on the grain structure. I have some plum buried in my stack that looks a LOT like that stuff, especially the heartwood, and the thin smooth bark screams orchard wood to me. Also looks to have been pruned by someone who knew what they were doing. Whatever it is, it looks gorgeous and looks like a hell of a find. What's the smell like?

Just mauled some more and its splitting pretty twisty. Fresh splits slightly sweet and fruity or peachy smelling. I think you called it, turn_n_burn!

I have some of what looks to be the same thing, and I love to throw a wet piece on a bed of coals and roast an oscar mayer or 3 over it. Best damn hot dog you'll ever have.

The smooth bark almost has a beech kind of vibe to it. I got some of that stuff one year and the 5-ton electric splitter could not handle it. Beeches drop lots of limbs so maybe mother nature did some pruning?

beech

Looks like black birch to me.

I think turn-n-burn is onto it being a fruitwood, and I think it might be Pear which is that color inside and smells "sweet". It is pretty dry already but not all the way if you can still smell aroma.

Huntsville, Alabama I see you are from...home of guitarist Larry Byrom I believe, played with Steppenwolf and then lots of country musicians!

I think turn-n-burn is onto it being a fruitwood, and I think it might be Pear which is that color inside and smells "sweet". It is pretty dry already but not all the way if you can still smell aroma.

Huntsville, Alabama I see you are from...home of guitarist Larry Byrom I believe, played with Steppenwolf and then lots of country musicians!

definitely not pear.peartree.jpg

it's definitely not something I think we have up here.. doesn't look like my peach trees either...

definitely not pear.View attachment 161372

it's definitely not something I think we have up here.. doesn't look like my peach trees either...

I don't know, trees look different in different parts of the country I have found out. The Pear in your picture looks more like the bark of our Dogwood down here....we do have Bradford Pear that looks like his picture, but it could not be, but it certainly looks like a fruitwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.