Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lcback

Feeling the Heat
Feb 21, 2016
Pennsylvania
I cut this up in the woods long fallen and starting to punk. No leaves left to ID
I originally thought it was hickory by the bark. But splitting was a dream compared to other hickory. No strings practically popped apart.
Any ideas? 3ec869146c34224fd353642039846284.jpgf45145cc29c66e7c56d1ff801a0995b9.jpg

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Maybe. I have done a lot of silver maple. And the bark sections didn't seem nearly thick enough or the color

Looks like maple to me

This is absolutely pignut hickory. If this is grown in an upland site (ridge top or close), you've got one of the most dense woods (of large trees) that you'll find in PA. Season it well and burn it on the coldest nights.
Sadly, it doesn't last too long before getting punky, especially if it touches the ground. These command a premium amongst my co-workers who search for good wood (including: ironwood, serviceberry, dogwood)

Looks like maple to me, especially the pics in the first post because of the spalted grain - not sure if hickory will do that (spalted grain), I've never seen it in hickory, it's also lacking the dark heart wood that hickory would have.

The only maple I have experience with is silver. And this bark was not nearly. And didn't have the thick bark sections like I tend to see. I could be wrong, but I never thought this was maple

Maples are kinda funny....i have silver, red and sugar by me....depending on the age of the tree, the bark can look the same on all 3 trees. Leaf ID is really the only way to know for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This is absolutely pignut hickory...Sadly, it doesn't last too long before getting punky
Yeah, I left some Pignut in 4' logs for a couple years and it definitely started to go south even though the logs were up off the ground. I have a dead-standing Shagbark to get. It's been dead a couple years but I'm hoping the trunk will still be pretty solid...

Status
Not open for further replies.