Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tocramed

Sep 30, 2015
WI
Can anyone help ID this? My first thought was hickory, but it is really lite and cuts extremely fast.
20171202_140637.jpg

20171202_140637.jpg

20171202_140654.jpg

Top pic looks like young black walnut, bottom pic could be tree of heaven. Doesnt look like the same tree as top.

Reactions: TreePointer
Top pic looks like young black walnut, bottom pic could be tree of heaven. Doesnt look like the same tree as top.
I dunno but the two rounds on the sawhorse in the first pic sure look different..

I dunno but the two rounds on the sawhorse in the first pic sure look different..

Agreed, i was speaking to the log centered in the pic. It appears there are several species here.

I got that, just sayin' about the top pic stuff. Woulda been nice to have an end-grain pic of the bottom round, or maybe Tocramed can describe it..dark heart like the top pic?

I'm thinking Walnut and Ash, see the little pinhole on the end of the cut side on the piece on the bottom in the top picture?

Whack it open and post a picture of the grain to be sure.....

Reactions: D8Chumley
Top log looks like walnut (check bark with a pen knife - soft, chocolate-colored bark). Dark heartwood with light/ white sapwood. Smell of walnut is distinctive and pungent.
Ash has opposite branch habit, while walnut is alternate.
Bottom one could be ash. It's tough to see from pic.

Reactions: Woody Stover
In the top pic, the bottom log is ash. Ash is 90% of the wood I have been cutting in the last 2 years. We don't have much black walnut or ailanthus around us so I am not familiar with those; however, I am starting to lean towards black walnut as there are a few others found in the area this one came from.

Both pics are taken of the same log.

I haven't had a chance to split any yet, but I will post some pics of the splits when I do.