Wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don.S

Nov 11, 2017
Montreal QC
20190114_153623.jpg 20190114_153713.jpg 20190114_153634.jpg 20190114_153630.jpg 20190114_153800.jpg 20190114_153747.jpg Anyone have a idea what this is? I figured poplar but a friend of mine thinks it is some kind of nut.

I’m thinking it’s possibly Basswood or Linden as it’s called by some. If you make a cut on it and it’s all white wood from the core to the cambium layer that would be another attribute of Basswood. If it is Basswood then it’s a softer hardwood that wood carvers like to work with and it burns similar to Poplar. There’s a lot of it up here in northern Wisconsin.

Another vote for basswood. You'd know right away cutting into it. Bark and branches look right for it without seeing inside.

Ok so I will have to cut into it and see. If it is basswood is it worth my time? I would have to cut a bit of a trail over to it so I could get my truck in there.

Pretty light on BTUs but dries very fast. I had some at 15% split in March and measured last week.

Basswood for sure.

Ok so I will have to cut into it and see. If it is basswood is it worth my time? I would have to cut a bit of a trail over to it so I could get my truck in there.
That’s up to you if you want to get it. It depends on if there’s other wood available to you and what you have on the racks now and for next winter. You probably won’t be burning this tree until then even if it does dry fast.....it won’t be fast enough for this winter but you probably know that. The reason why it dries fast is because it’s not a very dense wood. The more density the longer it takes to dry, like as in oak and hard maple.

I looked up basswood and that is definitely what it is. I will have to think about if I will harvest it or not. Since its already on the ground it's easy and I dont like to just let stuff rot. But I also have lots of better stuff like maple, ash, elm and beech that I could take. Big life choices.

For what it’s worth, I like basswood because it burns hot fast and clean. Most of it splits nicely too. I’m no wood snob and burn willow and boxelder too though.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I think if I can borrow a loader tractor from my boss i will take it. As his father always say he has been burning wood for a long time and still has not found one that does not burn and make heat.

I always get about a cord of softwood every year. It’s great for burning down those huge coal beds.
I actually have to search for it here in the land of oak and hickory.

I always get about a cord of softwood every year. It’s great for burning down those huge coal beds.
I actually have to search for it here in the land of oak and hickory.
Nice! We have plenty of Basswood and Poplar up here as well as the better hardwoods. I drove by a lot of Poplar that the power company took down lately and I thought about maybe getting some of it. I will see. I have a few dead elms to take care of first.

Good shoulder season wood. Burns with lightning speed!!

I got some Basswood a few years back and while it was light it did ignite easily and worked well, it was a very clean looking grained wood and I would not hesitate to take some if I saw it in the future, worked well as kindling and quarter splits and wasn't horrible for main fuelwood if it wasn't really cold out.